• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

domain forwarding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

domain forwarding

Ok, ignoramus question regarding domains.

Having registered four domains (oh.com, oh.co.uk, oh.net, oh.eu) and hosted ok.com on a virtual servers (plesk) what is the best way to point them all at oh.com?

Do I host oh.co.uk etc on the virtual server and have individual home pages that redirect to oh.com? I think this approach means I have DNS entries for each domain pointing at virtual server's IP address. oh.com is working by the way.

Or, do I try to use the forwarding services provided by my DNS service which I'm a little unhappy with because it isn't well explained?

Or, do I do something else?

Any help appreciated.

When I've done this i've used the "forwarding services provided by my DNS service" - but then I used Easily and they are quite good.

The update took a couple of hours to propogate around, but it was hassle free.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

You could DNS all of the domains to point to the server IP.

In the apache config you will have :
      ServerName oh.com

Then simply add a:
      ServerAlias oh.co.uk

For each of the extra domains you want this site to accept traffic from. Requests for oh.co.uk come in to the server, apache recognises it should accept requests for this domain and will point them to the directory set up to serve pages for oh.com.

This saves having a virtual server for each domain and forwarding (via apache config, meta refresh in html, htaccess or whatever) or forwarding using DNS if the provider you are using does not make this easy.

Comment

Many thanks chaps.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but only found out today that client is now blocking this forum.

I will try via Apache first.

Comment

Working...
        X