• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ATX or Micro-ATX power suppy that can run from DC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATX or Micro-ATX power suppy that can run from DC?

Anyone know a (cheap) PC power supply (pref Micro-ATX) that can be run from a DC source such as a car battery?

Don't want one of those piddly mini-itx things and don't want to put an invertor to power a std PC PSU (due to efficiency).

Needs to cope with 150W or more of computing power.

re

Seen a market in car computing DP?

Comment

Re: re

It's for a robot I'm building, sort of half R2-D2 and half junk I found on e-bay.

Comment

Re: re

how about one of the shuttle boards a few of those had an external mains psu.

Comment

I've just been talking to someone who is building an mp3 player for his car.

Unfortunately, his suggested psu is itx and £130, so fails on both your selection criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I've just been talking to someone who is building an mp3 player for his car.

Unfortunately, his suggested psu is itx and £130, so fails on both your selection criteria.
            Surely you just need a regulator to drive the motherboard?

What's the point converting DC to AC and then back again?

Comment

There's no point in the 12V to 240V (ish) to 12V,5V,-12V approach using an inverter and a standard PSU, since all you are doing is generating heat.

It's possible to cobble together some sort of psu quite cheaply, it all depends on the power required.

The automotive environment is rather harsh, with quite spectacular spikes on the battery line.

Alternator load dump is more or less the worst & can reach 100V or so.

Comment

For the sake of completeness, this is the site:

http://www.linitx.com/

Oddly enough, power supplies are list in categories under "power supplies"...

Comment

Working...
                X