• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back ups

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a Buffalo Terastation myself - ethernet socket on the back, 2 usb ports if you want to add any extra USB drives, 4 hard drives that I'm running in RAID5 so if one breaks you just slot another one in and you haven't lost anything. Easy to use - thumbs up from me!

Comment

Got one of those Buffalo's too, lovely bit of kit

Comment

Where did you get it from, Ardy?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If it's just the thumb drive, get somebody nice and friendly to invite you to gmail, then email the zip file to yourself as and when.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            Got one of those Buffalo's too, lovely bit of kit
            What model/size of drive did you get and where from?

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
              I use a Buffalo Terastation myself - ethernet socket on the back, 2 usb ports if you want to add any extra USB drives, 4 hard drives that I'm running in RAID5 so if one breaks you just slot another one in and you haven't lost anything. Easy to use - thumbs up from me!
              Can you provide more details? I am looking at getting a Qnap TS-101 so that I can run it with open source SlimServer to allow me to play my MP3 files. Any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                I believe in defence in depth.

I now have 77 backups on 77 different computers.

Sadly the house fell down & destroyed them all.

Such is life.

seriously though, in addition to the backups get a fireproof safe and place backups in there along with house deeds, passports, bank details etc. you may think it won't happen but it can. two of my family members have had total devastation by fire (no loss of life thank goodness) in the last 5 years. they lost everything. make sure your backup has your photos.

Comment

Working...
                X