• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network ConfigurationQuestion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network ConfigurationQuestion

I'm not reknowned for my network knowledge and I'm sure this one is a simple problem so here goes .....

My internal network serves out 192.168 IP addresses from my router. I am unable to access the website http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/ from my PC which I believe is due to the fact that when pinging it is a 192 address.

Now I'm sure it's something to do with subnet masks and the like but I'm buggered if i can get the site visible.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

TIA

--Edit - Correct typo --
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

My networking knowledge is next to zero but I thought that I would let you know that my internal network serves out 192.168 adresses too but has no problem with that website.

HTH

Comment

Yeah - doesn't seem to make that much sense to me but it is the only thing I can think of that may be affecting it.

I have no problem hitting any other site, but I'm not sure if I've ever tried another 192 site.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG
        Yeah - doesn't seem to make that much sense to me but it is the only thing I can think of that may be affecting it.

I have no problem hitting any other site, but I'm not sure if I've ever tried another 192 site.
        192.168.xxx.xxx is reserved for local addresses, ie. there are no external websites in that IP range. Either your DNS is resolving the domain wrongly, or their DNS is set up incorrectly.

EDIT : Their IP is 192.173.4.238 - maybe your netmask is setup incorrectly to route all 192.xxx.xxx.xxx traffic locally whereas it should be set to 192.168.xxx.xxx only?
        Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 20 March 2007, 09:23.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I'm not reknowned for my network knowledge and I'm sure this one is a simple problem so here goes .....

My internal network serves out 192.168 IP addresses from my router. I am unable to access the website http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/ from my PC which I believe is due to the fact that when pinging it is a 192 address.

Now I'm sure it's something to do with subnet masks and the like but I'm buggered if i can get the site visible.

TIA

--Edit - Correct typo --
          Make sure your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Comment

TIA

--Edit - Correct typo --
            Can you try doing a tracert -d to the address?
            Call the cops

Comment

check your hosts file.

Comment

Originally posted by martinb
                Make sure your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
                That was it. The subnet mask for the LAN in my router was set as 255.0.0.0

Changed it to 255.255.255.0 and bingo - my kids can now go and visit the Northumbria web site.

Many thanks to all

Comment

my kids can now go and visit the Northumbria web site.

Many thanks to all
                  quick set it back to 255.0.0.0

Comment

Where do you learn about all this stuff? Can anyone recommend a good book?

Comment

Working...
                    X