• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop and mobile getting on line

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop and mobile getting on line

I will be out of the country for a while (in Europe) and need to be able to access the web from my laptop. I wont have a land line or any fixed internet connection or any wireless network. What are my options in order to get on line, someone mentioned I could use a 3g phone or something with the laptop to be honest I dont have a clue I could need to be online for anything upto a couple of hours at a time, need to be reseanoble cost. ANy suggestions ??

T-mobile do a 3G PC card that roams in europe.

And 0range do too - with cheaper rates for prefered networks.

I will bet my boots vodafone do the same also

Comment

They all do datacards.

O2 = Piss take expenseive, good coverage
      Voda = Good, USB modem, good coverages
      Orange = also good, slightly pricey
      T-Mobile = Best (imho) £19pm for 3Gb usage.

All should give you a free datacard.

Comment

I use my samsung D900 mobile with data cable. it took about 15 minutes to set up, but i can use the laptop throughout the UK and Abroad.

You would however need a phone which communucates to the laptop either using Bluetooth or USB Cable (Infra-red yes, but a little clumsy)

and a phone capable of 3g

The samsung d900 software allows me to connect using the PHONES Internet Connection and adds another Internet connection to the NETWORK CONNECTIONS applet in windows 2k / XP (i'm yet to try on my VISTA notebook)

Again, you could always go down the seperate data card route!

Good Luck.
        Wayne

Comment

Just set up a dial up network connection using the phone as the modem. Simple and effective. Most networks make you dial *99# to connect.

Comment

Have used my 3G phone in similar circumstances, but beware costs if sending large files rather then just keeping in touch with emails...

Vodafone seem to have a good presence / partner network in the EU. Might be worth a chat to them; hint that company X has offered it for Y money and see what they offer. It's amazing how many call centre staff 'need to talk to their manager' (i.e. put you on hold for a couple of minutes while they look out the window), then come back to offer you the same '50% off' deal your mate was offered the day before....
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I have a Vodaphone GPRS/HSCD card which I use but sometimes I just connect my Motorola KRZR phone via USB cable (so it charges as well) and use the GPRS on that. Alternatively I just piggy back on some poor unfortunates sods unsecured wireless.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X