• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using SSH to hide Skype trafic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using SSH to hide Skype trafic

Has anyone used SSH and Dynamic Port Forwarding (SOCKS Emulation) to hide Skype trafic from ISP's who dont allow voice trafic?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

No, but which ones don't allow it?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven
      Has anyone used SSH and Dynamic Port Forwarding (SOCKS Emulation) to hide Skype trafic from ISP's who dont allow voice trafic?
      Your problem is going to be that by encrypting the packet using ssh you're adding to the packet size, whcih in turn will affect the delay and jitter which I'm guessing will make your skype close to unusable. Not quite sure what you're trying to do with the port forwarding, skype uses random ports anyway (Same ones for duration of call but random apart from that). They'll be able to spot skype no matter what port you use based on the traffic profile - voice is pretty unique.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
        Your problem is going to be that by encrypting the packet using ssh you're adding to the packet size, whcih in turn will affect the delay and jitter
        Quiet.

snaw is a local expert on latency issues, so if he says something about it then it must be right.

Comment

Yep, though I bow to AtW's superior knowledge on, well on everything really. He really is the dog's bollocks.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Your problem is going to be that by encrypting the packet using ssh you're adding to the packet size, whcih in turn will affect the delay and jitter
            Point taken, I think I will do some experimenting this weekend. See how it goes.

Not quite sure what you're trying to do with the port forwarding, skype uses random ports anyway
            Skype aparently can use SOCKS v4/5 proxying and when you use dynamic port forwarding on ssh (ssh -D 1234 remote_server) it effectivly sets up a SOCKS Proxy listening on localhost:1234 (the 1234 can be any port number you chose). So as far as the ISP concerned all they see is a ssh session going out of their network. Though like you say the trafic profile might stand out as voice, but do they monitor like that or do they look at source / destination ports?

The reason for asking is for the 3G ISP's, some have a flat rate but charge a higher flat rate if you want to do stuff like VoIP, my question is how do they know you are using VoIP? And can you disguise it?
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven
              Skype aparently can use SOCKS v4/5 proxying and when you use dynamic port forwarding on ssh (ssh -D 1234 remote_server) it effectivly sets up a SOCKS Proxy listening on localhost:1234 (the 1234 can be any port number you chose). So as far as the ISP concerned all they see is a ssh session going out of their network. Though like you say the trafic profile might stand out as voice, but do they monitor like that or do they look at source / destination ports?

The reason for asking is for the 3G ISP's, some have a flat rate but charge a higher flat rate if you want to do stuff like VoIP, my question is how do they know you are using VoIP? And can you disguise it?
              Not sure what you'll achieve by encapsulating your skype packets in ssh, even if you don't an ISP won't be able to recognise skype packets based on port number as it's a random port number. They will be able to recognise it if they have the right tools in place however based on it's traffic profile. Can't answer if they will monitor - really depends on what they have set up - which I imagine they have already if they're billing you. No way you can disguise the traffic profile without impacting your call, voice is pretty unique in that respect.

Worth trying to see, but I suspect you'll not get the answer you want.

Comment

Working...
              X