• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

M$ Home Network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M$ Home Network

Guys,

I am getting very frustrated with my home network.

I have my laptop and desktop PC's connected to a BT Home hub via cat 5 cables.

The hub can see both PC's and both PC's can access the internet.

I want to be able to move files between the two PC's. This is where it goes a bit pear shaped.

Sometime I can see the shares on the other PC and sometimes I can't, and, although the pc's connect to the hub at 100mps, when I can see the other PC the transfer rate is very slow.

I am using Zonealarm antivirus and firewall software, as supplied by Yahoo. As far as I can tell, the firewall is letting the local shares through.

Can anyone give me any tips.
    Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Disable the firewall software - the Windows XP one as well. Then try to connect.

Comment

Map drives and use auto recon at logon
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Using DHCP or static IP's ?

If using static make sure you have both machines on the same subnet.

Comment

Check whether there is enough garbage in your fusion reactor powering the hardware.

threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
            Disable the firewall software - the Windows XP one as well. Then try to connect.
            I had problems setting up my BT Hub. FWIW Windows XP and BT firewalls were both OK, disabling the McAfee firewall solved it.

Comment

I've disabled my Zonealarms Firewall and now I have no problems.

Thanks for all your help.
              Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Working...
              X