• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network laser printer prob

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network laser printer prob

Anyone else have a Samsung ML2251N or similar network laser printer? I have this on a Netgear router, and PCs on XP. Problem is that every time the router is switched off, when it's back on, none of the PCs can find the printer.

I have to delete the virtual port and create a new virtual port and assign the driver to that, on each of the PCs every time.

Have Googled, found some people who may have the same problem but nobody who has an answer.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

At a guess, you are using DHCP and the printer is renewing its IP when you reboot the router. Try a static IP.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
      At a guess, you are using DHCP and the printer is renewing its IP when you reboot the router. Try a static IP.
      I will if I can find out what that is and how to do it! Surely it must be in the instructions somewhere? Is it something I would do on the printer setup or on the router setup?

Funny, there was nothing on the box about having to know what DHCP is or else your printer wouldn't work

Thanks. Might save my partner throwing it out as a piece of trash that doesn't work. Air has been blue, especially with criticism of high-paid IT people who can't get things to work. I think she was talking about the guys who made an OS, a router, and a printer that wouldn't work together.....

Comment

If you go to the Netgear website they have the pdf manuals
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

if the printer is using dhcp then either make it static - ie in its configuration give it a fixed ip address, or use the functionality of the router to always deliver the sam eip address via dhcp - you will need the printer mac address for that, although you can probably get a list of attached devices in the netgear set up and just choose the one you want (it wont be your pc). At a guess in the router you will be looking for a lan ip settings page.

Comment

Originally posted by where did my id go?
            if the printer is using dhcp then either make it static - ie in its configuration give it a fixed ip address, or use the functionality of the router to always deliver the sam eip address via dhcp - you will need the printer mac address for that, although you can probably get a list of attached devices in the netgear set up and just choose the one you want (it wont be your pc). At a guess in the router you will be looking for a lan ip settings page.
            OK thanks, Netgear router admin "Attached Devices" I know,

Comment

Working...
            X