• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java - Is it too late to learn and is it worth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java - Is it too late to learn and is it worth?

I have very very limited exposure to Java now despite the fact that I was one among the few who was proficient and had a certification in Core Java 1.2 during 1998/99. I wish I had continued with it.

Anyway, is Java still relevant? Is it worth re-learning it or something else? Given I am not working, I would like to skill-up myself in a language that can be used in majority of cloud environments and that might be helpful in Data Engineering domain. I heard people talking about Java, C#, Go, Rust and NodeJS but I am unable to decide.

My current 'language/scripting' skillset is Core Python, exposure to JS, Ruby, Dart.

Java wouldn't be the first thing I would think of for data engineering. How about learning DBT? Or databricks?

Comment

I remember we chatted just after I had gotten my azure data engineering certifiation way back in 2020. I worked a year and a half for a company not using Azure and suffering through SSIS packages, then got a job using Azure data factory. For the last year or so I've been doing databricks and it seems like that's the in-demand skill.

Comment

hairymouse Thanks for your valuable inputs. I already have a very good working knowledge of DBT and Databricks. At the moment I am playing with Snowflakes. It's just from a scripting point of view I was looking at something other than Python.

Comment

I thought it was R or Python for data analytics. Not heard of much else being used.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I thought it was R or Python for data analytics. Not heard of much else being used.
            Yes, you are right. It is still R and Python but they are mainly for BI reporting. For e.g R cannot be used for Azure Functions or AWS Lambda functions. Python can be used but it's performance is ambiguous.

Comment

Working...
            X