• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# for new projects? Wise choice in the new cloud world?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

'Just choose the most appropriate language for the task in-front of you'.....unfortunately that is not really an option for most Companies. At my clients place for example, the majority of devs are either Java (mostly) or Python ... and they are virtually all permies. So there is no chance management are going to say 'Go would be awesome for this ... let's build it with Go'. They are not going to cross train their devs for a 6 month Go project .. instead they will write it in Java / Python (or in our case c# going forward.)
    The problem for most companies is bigger than "what language to we write it in?" though, isn't it? If you have an existing team of developers that are skilled in Java or Python AND that understand the business domain then I would suggest that what is most appropriate as a language would be Java or Python. Why is that a problem? Why is that they are virtually all permies a problem? If you are starting something from scratch, completely new. No pre-existing systems, dependencies, team members, domain knowledge etc, then maybe you can say "we're using Go" but those opportunities are vanishingly rare.

When you say, there are a massive number of windows servers out there ... yeah I know that .. I helped to build some of the apps on them. When you say c# is not going anywhere .. I know that too. Again, I helped to build some of them. What I was asking is 'does it make any sense to choose c# for brand new projects that are intended to run on AWS and/or GCP'. I personally don't think it does.
    No, it doesn't. Of course. But I'm sure that there's some edge case out there where it does make sense in someone's head.

As far as I can gather, the reason our management have decided to go with c# is because the current head of Dev for our Dept (based in another country) has experience in c#.
    And there's the real answer to "why". For sure.

Comment

Working...
    X