• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Servers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Servers

I would to purchase a server for a small business 10-20 users, I have two options the HP ProLiant BL servers or Dell Servers. Please assist.

You don't need anything that expensive for 10 to 20 users. Get a cheap white box (anything over 800MHz will do), plenty of RAM and a decent hard drive, and install either Linux, Open Solaris or a varient of BSD on it. Then install Samba for file sharing, Postfix for mail, and any other stuff you might want. Job done.

If you really want to push the boat out, get two and have one as a full back up.

Even with both boxes it's likely to come in cheaper than the two you quoted.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Servers

Thank you for that, what do you think of SBS ( SMALL BUSINESS SERVER)

Comment

Ether the Dell or the HP will do - dont forget to spec out a backup device. Before we go any further - what do you want the server to do? Is it just file and print, a web server, and email server or a bit of every thing?

SBS will do DB, email file and print - if this is what you actually want?
        www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisS0
          Thank you for that, what do you think of SBS ( SMALL BUSINESS SERVER)
          Given that it is my opinion that Windows is ideal for the desktop but should never be let near a server, I'll let you take a guess...
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I would to purchase a server for a small business 10-20 users, I have two options the HP ProLiant BL servers or Dell Servers. Please assist.
            What do you want the server to "do"?

File Server?
            Email server?
            Web Server?
            FAX Server?
            Application Server?
            Print Server?
            Database Server?

etc

Comment

BL servers are blade servers - you would also need an enclosure etc. Not really a good way to go - unless you need 8 servers!
              You would also be limited to mirroring - unles you are attaching a storage array

This would be a strange use of money

BTW - don't forget to back it up. Don't see that mentioned anywhere!

Alternativly -for a reasonable consideration - I could come and install it for you!

Comment

Working...
              X