• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kubernetes - anyone using it in production?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As title, seems reasonably prevalent in the market at this time but also quite complex - at least on bare metal installations when you actually look under the hood (or maybe its me being thick).

Anyone getting exposure to it and are the vast majority cloud deployments?

I wonder how many companies are "just spinning it up" because its cool and not fully understanding the implications.

How are you finding it?

It's the dogs whatsits thanks. I have been using it in the cloud mostly but also test on metal.

Comment

I keep hearing about this thing.

Can anyone give me a an overview of what it is and why it is needed?

(I know i could google but I want the truth!)

Comment

Container orchestration and infra (networking, routing etc.).

- Google cloud has excellent managed experience resulting in just mostly editing YAML files to configure and adjust your k8s.
        - AWS EKS - a tulip version of GCP
        - Bare metal: steep learning curve, job in its own right to keep updated and tickling the network layers (this is where most of the pain was felt on projects I've been involved with)

All in all it's pretty good; and allows for agnostic infra instead of vendor tie in (if you develop with this in mind). Some projects for example required Azure and AWS deployments.

The whole ecosystem around it is growing rapidly so t's pretty exhausting.

Comment

Baremetal is what I am running to get some "experience" in it (granted its not production experience but I wanted to play around with it and see what all the fuss was about, I've used Docker in production) - I found the network element the most complex when you really delve into it, but maybe its just me.

On baremetal you don't have the luxury of a cloud based load balancer sitting infront of it so you have to spin up MetalLB for example and tie that into an ingress-controller (nginx), I span mine up using kubeadm but obviously you can use kubespray as well (Ansible) which is what I would probably use for an actual deployment.

I haven't even got to the CI/CD part yet......

Also iptables is the default implementation, but I don't know if thats what is utilised in PROD deployments!
          Last edited by 1000101011; 8 February 2019, 11:41.

Comment

I think the vast majority of implementers spend more on the engineering than gain on the cloud.

Comment

Long time since I have posted here. I mostly hear about Kubernetes with Docker in my world. Mostly Microservices. It falls under the DevOPS domain. I have not used it in any enterprise project as of yet, but essentially it's an alternative to using Nuget packages and deploying your app on IIS.
              Especially if you are developing Micro Services using ASP.NET Core, then you can shove your service into a docker container and deploy it to Kubernetes. Kubernetes then handles health check and self-healing bits (circuit breaker, bulkhead etc). However there are also third party "Service Mesh" apps like LinkerD, Polly which allow you to offload these additional requirements (they take the responsibility of retry on failure, health check, self recovery etc), so I am still not convinced about blindly jumping in. As it is with software, I have always found that the latest and greatest wants to be adopted without any thought as to whether it's "really needed for us, and is it enterprise ready and meets all our needs". Cargo cult mentality. If Netflix did, then so should we. So we blindly add Hystrix to our application stack
              There is a fun video by a chap named Daniel Bryant titled "The Seven Deadly Sins of Microservices". It's a good watch
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Working...
              X