• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dot name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dot name

Does anyone know a provider that will do .name email right at a low price?

What I mean is, I have registered john.smith.name (but not smith.name itself). I can easily set up email addresses like [email protected] but I want [email protected].

Unless I'm missing something, you need to register smith.name to do that, or talk to the owner of smith.name.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan

Unless I'm missing something, you need to register smith.name to do that, or talk to the owner of smith.name.
      With respect I think you are missing something. .name is quite unlike any other TLD: it was intended to be registered at the 3rd level, i.e. (originally, though it is now changed) nobody would be able to register smith.name. Someone could register john.smith.name, and then someone else could register fred.smith.name.

This was at the registry (or registrar) level, quite different from, say, someone who has registered the domain uk.com and can then resell subdomains like acme.uk.com. He is a reseller, not a registrar; and he does own uk.com. Nobody (except in a sense the Register) owns smith.name in that sense.

The question arises because a given registrar or host who offers john.smith.name (which is the 3rd level domain) may or may not offer the email address [email protected]. They can offer it if they want, but not all do.

It is hard to find out which do (their sites & FAQs are often imprecise), and while I have found it on offer at $35/month, I was thinking more of 10-15 a year (I currently have it at GANDI who charge 12€/y, but do not do what I am looking for).

Comment

Sorry I was assuming it was the same as all other domains.

It must work the same underneath though, so if only the registrar can own smith.name, then can other third parties sell email addresses from that domain? That would mean the registrars would be the ones routing email and assigning email addresses, which is not the same.

I found this saying it's all gone to hell anyway:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01...e_name_domain/
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
          Sorry I was assuming it was the same as all other domains.

It must work the same underneath though, so if only the registrar can own smith.name, then can other third parties sell email addresses from that domain? That would mean the registrars would be the ones routing email and assigning email addresses, which is not the same.

I found this saying it's all gone to hell anyway:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01...e_name_domain/
          That's true but obviously only for 2nd level .name domains where no 3rd level have already been registered.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Does anyone know a provider that will do .name email right at a low price?

What I mean is, I have registered john.smith.name (but not smith.name itself). I can easily set up email addresses like [email protected] but I want [email protected].

Try www.ukreg.com apparently .name domains start at £8.99 per year

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
              Try www.ukreg.com apparently .name domains start at £8.99 per year
              I couldn't find them saying anywhere that if you have john.smith.name then you can set up [email protected]. Is this something you know that they do?

As I said, that is the whole point of my question: there are loads of places you can register a 3rd-level .name, but most do not do this type of email address (they just let you do e.g. [email protected] or [email protected] etc).

However I have emailed them to ask if they do it.

Comment

Working...
              X