• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning French, free resources.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning French, free resources.

I’m doing a bit of a road trip in a month and I’m looking to learn a bit of the lingo.

Really I’m just after enough French to order drinks, food and understand a French menu. Though might want to expand on it in the future.

I don’t really want to pay for something.

The bbc site is ok but it’s a bit boring.
    Last edited by woohoo; 20 May 2018, 15:16.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I’m doing a bit of a road trip in a month and I’m looking to learn a bit of the lingo.

Really I’m just after enough French to order drinks, food and understand a French menu. Though might want to expand on it in the future.

https://www.memrise.com

I had a load of beginner mp3s that were useful for listening to on the train or in the car, from Rosetta Stone I think.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      https://www.memrise.com

I had a load of beginner mp3s that were useful for listening to on the train or in the car, from Rosetta Stone I think.
      The website looks really good, just having a look now. Thanks.

Comment

For the menu just install Google translate on your phone and point the camera to the menu, easier than learning the language enough to understand all the various words in a menu.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          For the menu just install Google translate on your phone and point the camera to the menu, easier than learning the language enough to understand all the various words in a menu.
          I've tried that in the past admittedly not with google translate. But the translation when you could get a decent signal was poor and did not make sense of various menus or signs - im guessing there is an offline mode nowadays. I do have a translate app on my iphone and watch but again that's for when I'm really stuck and want to look a right tool, it's my backup plan after speaking slower and louder to the Frenchies.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

the only French I can speak fluently is 'restaurant' French. It's OK those fookers are so proud of their language they'll correct you when you get it wrong, as long as you try to speak a bit of Franglais.

Some starters-
            il est bouchonner -it is corked- this wine is tulip get me another
            il est degolas - it is disgusting and I wouldn't feed it to my dog - this is considered really rude so only use in exceptional circumstances
            steak a cheval - this isn't horsemeat, it's steak with an egg on top. cheval is the verb 'to ride' and the egg is riding

EDIT: don't worry about looking a tool, just order and eat it. That's half the fun, and you can often be surprised in the UK anyway when what you expect isn't what you get. If that's not suitable then stick to places with pictured of the food.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              the only French I can speak fluently is 'restaurant' French. It's OK those fookers are so proud of their language they'll correct you when you get it wrong, as long as you try to speak a bit of Franglais.

Some starters-
              il est bouchonner -it is corked- this wine is tulip get me another
              il est degolas - it is disgusting and I wouldn't feed it to my dog - this is considered really rude so only use in exceptional circumstances
              steak a cheval - this isn't horsemeat, it's steak with an egg on top. cheval is the verb 'to ride' and the egg is riding

EDIT: don't worry about looking a tool, just order and eat it. That's half the fun, and you can often be surprised in the UK anyway when what you expect isn't what you get. If that's not suitable then stick to places with pictured of the food.
              Nice story, keep this kind of tulipe in general.

Comment

You should learn to say thank you, when provided with useful and correct information you won't get from a book. Especially when it's on-topic, i.e. restaurant French.

Doesn't this entire thread belong in general anyway?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The Duolingo app is ideal for starting and you can concentrate on specifics like food, menus, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    The Duolingo app is ideal for starting and you can concentrate on specifics like food, menus, etc
                    +1, using it to better my Spanish, it's basic but its a good start
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X