• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wordpress Export

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wordpress Export

Evening all.

I think I know what the answer to this will be but Ill ask anyway.

Ive just had a client contact me for some short term work migrating some wordpress sites onto a new server.

The situation is that my clientco was a 50/50 joint venture between company A and company B where the agreement was that company A supplied all of the websites etc, Company A contracted a media/web design firm to create and host some wordpress sites for them and paid up for the years hosting (this was in June last year) company A has now gone bankrupt so my clientCo is 100% owned by company B who really want those sites to carry on for a few more months until they have time to re-write them.

So, the web design company are being unhelpful as they know they are not getting repeat business, clientco only has access to WP Admin but plugins are disabled so we cant just install a site backup plugin, and there is no access to the file system.

Im putting some recommendations together now which are :

1. Get access to the server via FTP (Relies on web design company agreeing)
    2. Get access to install plugins (Relies on web design company agreeing)
    3. Extract the XML file with all of the content and manually re-create the theme (Which we also cant get at right now) then create a completly new site with the content from the old one.
    4. Legal action against Web Design Co - From what I can tell they agreed to design and host the site but the content, theme etc should all be owned by clientco (But we are on a tight deadline it all gets switched off at the end of the month)

Any other options? Is there some way that I might be able to sidestep the normal plugin installation (Im an admin with access to install plugins but I think that webco have done something to disable plugin uploads)

Thoughts?

Do I just tell them we cant do it and start looking at creating a new theme and scraping the content from the existing site?

Sounds like lots of hassle. I bet the rate is crap.

This is why I like big financial services contracts. Huge rate to spend all day eyeing up the totty by the photocopier.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Sounds like lots of hassle. I bet the rate is crap.

This is why I like big financial services contracts. Huge rate to spend all day eyeing up the totty by the photocopier.

Its not a great rate but its a favour for an old client 1/2 mile from home*. I was just sitting round in my pants watching homes under the hammer anyway!

* Ive had repeat work from them at much better rates in the past so wanted to keep in with them!

Comment

Wordpress Export

There are apps to download whole websites. But they are limited and result is an unmaintainable website. Even though it may look ok.

I’d go with #1 or #2
        Last edited by MrButton; 16 May 2018, 19:45.

Comment

Sell them a new website if the web design company won't give you what you need

Comment

Working...
          X