• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM 2005)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM 2005)

Anyone here got good hands on experience of setting this up?

I have requirement to use MOM to monitor error log files (text) written by bespoke applications. My questions are:

1. Can MOM work where a separate file is created per error, and the filename is obviously different each time?
    2. What is the best format to specify to make the text files easily readable by MOM? CSV, positional, tab delimited?
    3. Apart from the error string, what other information can MOM consume? Error number, severity, source, etc?

I have never used this app, so any hands-on advice on what is best practice is great.

PS, these apps have to log errors to a file and they can't write to the Windows Event Log

The problem with MOM is that you can do pretty much what you like.

Most of the 3rd party management packs tend to use VBscripts to perform certain actions.

It might be easier to go down this route, create (or borrow) a VBscript that does what you want then install this onto the management server to run on agent managed machines.

The only thing to watch out for is what account the agents run under, if that is not an administrator it will probably fail.

Sorry this is not very specific, but from experience this is a very powerful product with not a great deal of useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by spoons

Sorry this is not very specific, but from experience this is a very powerful product with not a great deal of useful information.
      Tell me about it!

Comment

MOM can be very useful if you are careful about the management packs you install.

If you have to install the base management packs, then you're going to have to spend a good few weeks Tuning the system to get it running as you want.

My preference is to always use IPmonitor instead. Its much more powerful out the box and you don't have to keep manageing agents all over the place.

It also give nice graphs and pictures to keep the upper management happy.

Comment

Working...
        X