• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Laptop

Hi,

Does anyone know where to get a laptop with Linux pre-installed?

I want a fairly meaty laptop (1GB+ RAM, 120GB+ HD) with Linux on it - not really fussed about the variant but gut feeling says SUSE / RH / Ubuntu. I want to run a sandbox environment of some applications on it, which will run better on Linux than on Windows, but can't be bothered to faff about with getting a Windows laptop and then rebuilding it with Linux, finding drivers etc.

I've seen some basic ones like this one but it's nowhere near powerful enough. I've seen a few things online about HP and Dell starting to do them, but I can't see where to buy one in the UK.

Any ideas?

Faqqer
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Not sure if many suppliers out there are selling Linux pre-installed. My suggestion is find a few models that would suit your needs and then search of the relevant forums to see how others have got on installing Linux on them and make a choice from there.

You might find this interesting if you are considering a Dell though:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm

Some kiddie got £50 a Dell PC as he did not Windows so you might save some cash too!

I have installed Ubuntu on a few laptops and not had problems. With 120Gb you might consider Dual Boot though as sometimes Windows on a machine is handy for error checking etc.

I can recommend Ubunutu, slap the CD in, it boots into Linux and you can have a poke around and see how the machine handles and if you are happy then you can install.

Before install a little partition magic to make some space for the linux install and you should be cool. Might have to reboot with the XP disk after and fixmbr but apart from that it should be pretty painless.

Enjoy your fiddling!

Comment

The main problem with Linux on a laptop is the esoteric hardware. Thinkpads are certified to be supported (I believe you can get SLED preinstalled if you want). Ubuntu went onto my R51 and everything was detected out of the box including the wireless setup. No additional drivers required.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Why not run VMWare on it? It can provide the hardware abstraction so you won't have to worry about drivers etc. There's also prebuilt images on their website somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
          Hi,

Does anyone know where to get a laptop with Linux pre-installed?

I want a fairly meaty laptop (1GB+ RAM, 120GB+ HD) with Linux on it - not really fussed about the variant but gut feeling says SUSE / RH / Ubuntu. I want to run a sandbox environment of some applications on it, which will run better on Linux than on Windows, but can't be bothered to faff about with getting a Windows laptop and then rebuilding it with Linux, finding drivers etc.

I've seen some basic ones like this one but it's nowhere near powerful enough. I've seen a few things online about HP and Dell starting to do them, but I can't see where to buy one in the UK.

Any ideas?

Faqqer
          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...hows_progress/
          Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Thanks all - I was hoping to find somewhere with everything pre-done for me, but it seems that the UK doesn't really have much in this respect. I can find US sites that will do it, but nothing closer to home!

I'm downloading SUSE at the moment and I'll try dual-boot on my Acer, and an external USB hard drive, and see how that goes. I tried SUSE 9, but it doesn't detect my network card or sound card, which defeats the object really! Let's see what SUSE 10 holds - if not I think I'll follow Chubba's advice and buy and build one.

That's Christmas Day sorted out away from the kids, then...
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Would recommend VMWare too. As long as the laptop has enough physical memory, you'll have no probs.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks to all - I built myself a dual boot Windows and Suse 10.1 system last night, which seems to do the trick (so far). It recognizes my external hard drive, which is where I'll install the main software - which is the next step...

Thanks again,

Faqqer
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                X