• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best paying database developer environment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I get these emails everyday....

Originally posted by BobShawadiwadi View Post
    Hi Ya Dim, I hope you are well.
    My blessed company has just renewed contract, inshallah, this is good doings as we will working together for a very, very, long time.
    Shiva has risen from dead. We have managed to revert database and analysis cubes to a previous running state from corporate back up. Nothing will run, do you know anything about indexing doings? Please revert at the soonest.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Hadoop has been discussed and is very fashionable. The main objection seems to be we only have a 10TB database so are not big enough for big data. Though 10TB seems quite large to me - clearly I need to get with the times.
      You Are Not Google
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        "Did you know you can buy a terabyte of RAM for around $10,000?" - a month, if using the public cloud...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Hadoop has been discussed and is very fashionable. The main objection seems to be we only have a 10TB database so are not big enough for big data. Though 10TB seems quite large to me - clearly I need to get with the times.
          It's not just the Volume that should put you off from using it. Considering that Data is the new oil :-), Do you expect to store and process Unstructured, Semi-structured data (e.g Audio/Video streams, Emails etc)? Do you need transactions (Big data doesn't support transactions)? Do you need real-time analytics? If your use case is Geo then Mongo has a fantastic support for distance calculations and it is way faster than anything I have seen or Do you need to know who is following whom (degrees of separation!) then go with Neo4j, its node traversal is way faster than anything else.

Comment

Interesting https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...l_on_big_data/

Comment

Sybase to SQL Server might be a lot easier to move.

Sybase to HADOOP will require changing a lot more, since it's not like for like. Chances are HADOOP _might_ be more appropriate/cheaper, but all depends on what you actually doing.

We do use Postgres, seems ok, but 10 TB data is pretty heavy.

Comment

Working...
              X