• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wordpress File Upload app

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wordpress File Upload app

I'm currently putting the finishing touches to a Wordpress site that I converted from Joomla. The one piece of functionality that I'm having trouble replacing is to find a good file upload utility. The requirements:
    A user should have the ability to upload multiple files (all small in size, static text)
    A user must be signed in to upload and will have their own allocated directory/folder that I've set up in the backend (i.e. mysite.co.uk/theirfolder)

I've had a read through various plugins but none seem to obviously fit the bill in the way that the joomla plugin did - that could be down to my noobiness with Wordpress rather than the plugin itself though. I also don't want to pay for it - while that sounds a bit meh, the Joomla plugin was free.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

For security reasons, you're unlikely to find anything that allows an upload to anywhere on the server outside the standard WP folder structure.

Looking at https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-file-upload that would allow you to upload into wp-contents/<a directory> but I don't know whether it allows different upload paths within that directory. It looks like it probably would - there is an attribute you can set in the shortcode, and some code in their support pages that might do it - but I've not looked at exactly what it can do.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

That was one that I've looked at; I guess install, activate and have a play with it is the best idea.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
        For security reasons, you're unlikely to find anything that allows an upload to anywhere on the server outside the standard WP folder structure.

Looking at https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-file-upload that would allow you to upload into wp-contents/<a directory> but I don't know whether it allows different upload paths within that directory. It looks like it probably would - there is an attribute you can set in the shortcode, and some code in their support pages that might do it - but I've not looked at exactly what it can do.
        At first glance, there are no configuration options - you have to create an instance and then you get to configure each one after that and it will generate the shortcode for you.

There is an option to create a new directory as required (so it would auto create one for you for the users in wp-contents), and there is a checkbox to prevent guests from seeing it at all.

So you could set the shortcode to [wordpress_file_upload uploadpath="%username%" uploadrole="all" createpath="true"] and that will give you a file upload box, available to all users (but no guests), creating a new folder as necessary for them.

So my file has just appeared in my "wp-contents/Ron" folder which it created on the fly for me.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
        X