• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No TV Signal in bad weather

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No TV Signal in bad weather

Just moved into a house at the bottom of a valley. TV signal is bad to non existent in rainy conditions.

Anyone experienced this and found a solution? Fibre optic/ cable etc not available.

Haven't actually completed on the purchase yet, in on a holiday let so may be walking away if I can't get my telly!

Move to the top of the valley?

Better aerial?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Are there any neighbours you can ask?

Comment

FreeSAT?

Comment

Don't by the house
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Catch-up TV if the property has reasonable internet access? All the main freeview channels offer it now via various sources.

Or talk to someone that lives at the top of the hill and arrange to run an aerial cable down from theirs.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              FreeSAT?
              Satellite signals via a standard dish degrade in bad weather to the point of total loss in snow or torrential rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                Satellite signals via a standard dish degrade in bad weather to the point of total loss in snow or torrential rain.
                In a valley it may be possible to build a giant dish by have a few small ones set up right to bounce the signal to the house from each hill side.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Or talk to someone that lives at the top of the hill and arrange to run an aerial cable down from theirs.
                  Or use a telescope to watch their telly.

If it's an old aerial installed on the house for analogue you probably can improve it. I did mine last year as I was only getting "Freeview Lite" from an old aerial in the loft. With a new "digital" high gain aerial (still in the loft) pointed* at the main transmitter I'm able to get all of Freeview with only very occasional glitches.

Money and effort well spent. I was quite pleased with myself.

*Actually for some reason I found that pointing it in the opposite direction of the main transmitter gave the best results. Perhaps picking up reflections.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Or use a telescope to watch their telly.

If it's an old aerial installed on the house for analogue you probably can improve it. I did mine last year as I was only getting "Freeview Lite" from an old aerial in the loft. With a new "digital" high gain aerial (still in the loft) pointed* at the main transmitter I'm able to get all of Freeview with only very occasional glitches.

Money and effort well spent. I was quite pleased with myself.

*Actually for some reason I found that pointing it in the opposite direction of the main transmitter gave the best results. Perhaps picking up reflections.
                    Thanks. Useful post.

Comment

Working...
                    X