• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VOIP alternatives to Skype free for 0800 numbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOIP alternatives to Skype free for 0800 numbers

Skype seems generally to work well, but I notice that Skype doesn't play well with my Bluetooth headset (Plantronics / iPhone).

What I like about Skype is that calls to 0800 numbers (such as for teleconferences) are free. Very nice.

Anyone use anything else for dialling 0800 in to conference calls? I'd like try an alternative to see if bluetooth works better. But I can't find one. e.g. Google Hangouts and Whatsapp both offer free calls, but only to other Hangouts or Whatsapp users, not 0800 numbers.

TIA

I've had an account with Voipfone for years now. Never had a problem although to be fair it only gets sporadic use. Also tried sipgate but that did have issues and I gave up with it. I use a Draytek router with built in SIP.

For a mobile bluetooth connection, presumably an Android device with a SIP app would do that.

Comment

I use the app WEQ4U for that sort of thing on my phone out of my free minutes...
      Join IPSE

Comment

Have you tried Lync a.k.a. Skype for business. At least in the past it was built on a completely different code than Skype. And never had issues with Jabra headset (can't recall the model) for both Lync-Lync and Lync-Phone calls.

Comment

Most mobiles now offer free calls to 0800 numbers, or is it for video conferences too?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Most mobiles now offer free calls to 0800 numbers, or is it for video conferences too?
            Absolutely, but I have a crap mobile signal here, so VOIP works better than (in my case) EE. This is voice-only. I've even tried the iPhone's WiFi Calling feature, which could and should be perfect, but unfortunately it isn't. Great when it works but not rock-solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              I've had an account with Voipfone for years now. Never had a problem although to be fair it only gets sporadic use. Also tried sipgate but that did have issues and I gave up with it. I use a Draytek router with built in SIP.

For a mobile bluetooth connection, presumably an Android device with a SIP app would do that.
              Originally posted by Alias View Post
              I use the app WEQ4U for that sort of thing on my phone out of my free minutes...
              Thanks. These looks like a great service but is not what I'm looking for at this time.
              Last edited by Platypus; 23 August 2016, 08:58.

Comment

Working...
              X