• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WMI Client Machine Name Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WMI Client Machine Name Query

Got a quick question for anyone with knowedge of WMI with the .net framework.

How can you query a server running on terminal services to get the client machine names for a current logged in user. I can retrieve a list of users using SELECT * FROM Win32_ServerSessions, but the computer name just returns a default ip address.

The information I want is definately available, as if you view the Users tab for the Task Manager, the client name is definately there!!!!

Any ideas? fairly urgent this!!!!

No knowledge of what you're talking about specifically, but if you've got the IP address, why not do a DNS lookup?
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy
      Got a quick question for anyone with knowedge of WMI with the .net framework.

How can you query a server running on terminal services to get the client machine names for a current logged in user. I can retrieve a list of users using SELECT * FROM Win32_ServerSessions, but the computer name just returns a default ip address.

The information I want is definately available, as if you view the Users tab for the Task Manager, the client name is definately there!!!!

Any ideas? fairly urgent this!!!!
      You running on a win2k server?? I know they had probs with client names under wmi
      whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Got it sorted. Using W2k3, with WTS. The IP Address is not good enough, I needed the actual Machine Name of the client who had connected to the server!!

The solution, in a nutshell goes, PInvoke to the WTSAPI.dll and call WTSEnumerateSessions and WTSQuerySessionInformation to get the information I needed!

Comment

Working...
        X