• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where is SQL Analyzer in SQL Server 2005?!?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is SQL Analyzer in SQL Server 2005?!?!

Installed both SQL Server 2005 and tools for it, but can't find anywhere ISQLW.exe which is SQL Analyser?!?!?!

Originally posted by AtW
    Installed both SQL Server 2005 and tools for it, but can't find anywhere ISQLW.exe which is SQL Analyser?!?!?!
    There is no SQL Analyser

Open SQL Server management Studio, set up your database instance connections then select New Query at the top left
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Can't install Tools actually - get error:

"None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded blah blah, click cancel" - I have selected ALL tools to be installed including Management Studio which probably replaced SQL Analyser (*****rs!)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Can't install Tools actually - get error:

"None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded blah blah, click cancel" - I have selected ALL tools to be installed including Management Studio which probably replaced SQL Analyser (*****rs!)
        what system are you using? has the preinstallation run?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I am on Win XP Pro, using official SQL Server 2005 Standard (patched to SP1) from MSDN. Installed main server it definately runs fine - I connected to it via old SQL Analyser (I hoped for update of it).

Tried to install Tools from another dir on that ISO - allows to select all tools including that SQL management thing, but them tells me nothing to do - error as above.

Found this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/913967

It suggests very strange way of installing these tools, followed instructions but I get same error, ffs, it is just tools to install

Comment

are you trying to install the client tools on the server or a PC?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

AH I get it, sneaky ******s did not make clear what's the problem:

------------------
              Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools Express Edition
              Reason: Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Build version check:
              Your upgrade is blocked because the existing component is a later version than the version you are trying to upgrade to. To modify an existing SQL Server component, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, select the component you would like to modify, and then click Change/Remove.
              ------------------

Looks like it is not happy about me having applied SP 1 to it, darn.

Comment

very sneak, you might have mentioned that you were trying to upgrade though
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

But I was not upgrading - I had first installed SQL 2005, then SP1, and then tools from SQL 2005 - there do not seem to be tools for SP1, so I had to roll back and start again ffs!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    But I was not upgrading - I had first installed SQL 2005, then SP1, and then tools from SQL 2005 - there do not seem to be tools for SP1, so I had to roll back and start again ffs!
                    excellent, i'll watch out for that in future
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X