• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home office - cloud backup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home office - cloud backup

looking for advice plse - on UK hosted cloud [automated] backup for main home office desktop + probably a laptop

specifically
    [*]points to ensure that are provided , and [*]potential recs on provider/supplier + [*]cost expectation
    am i limiting options by looking for UK cloud only - should i be looking at something like MOZY- any other recommendations appreciated

have been using usb drives - but think real time pre-set automated via cloud would ensure all capture

thanks

Originally posted by kiwilondon99 View Post
    looking for advice plse - on UK hosted cloud [automated] backup for main home office desktop + probably a laptop

specifically
    [*]points to ensure that are provided , and [*]potential recs on provider/supplier + [*]cost expectation
    am i limiting options by looking for UK cloud only - should i be looking at something like MOZY- any other recommendations appreciated

have been using usb drives - but think real time pre-set automated via cloud would ensure all capture

thanks
    I use Crashplan, US based but I am reminded of a comment someone made to me during my first ever contract in the early nineties - if it's sensitive data don't put it on the network.

Think it costs about £9 a month for unlimited data and computers. The client is backing up delta changes all the the time, suspect the back up is block level as it takes ages to find something that you need to restore. Not a problem for me I'm just glad there's an offsite copy to restore.

Comment

Monster Cloud were okay until they put up their prices 1000%.

I've been using Carbonite for years (US based), and that works well, if not exactly fast.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I do use cloud services (dropbox) for storing files I may need if I am on holiday (you get an email, they want to know such and such, its useful to have 'in work' source code etc somewhere in the cloud), but I am strong believer of physical backups. I have two portable hard drives - one is my weekend backups, one I take at the start of every month. Weekend backups go in my safe, the monthly gets stored in my car.

Backups take 40 minutes, and the hard drives cost be £40 each. MyPassport drives are reliable. I don't even have to do anything, plug the drives in and it all gets backed up.

I do keep daily backups - as I am doing all my work on my laptop, I use "Beyond Compare" to sync any changes between my laptop and my home server. The server also gets backed up at weekends and start of months.

Comment

Backblaze

automatic & cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Backblaze

automatic & cheap
            Oops you said uk hosted, soz

Comment

I use Spideroak, decent price (think $150/yr for 1TB) and encrypts with keys held on the client. Does mean if you lose your password that you're hosed however!

Why are you limiting it to UK only? That'll cripple your options.

Comment

many thanks ALL

thanks for responding -yes was interested particularly in UK sites/hosters, but most providers seem to be USA + cheaper also. Just did not want data on a us server with a non contactable provider !! call me old fashioned..........

currently using a 2TB external drive with Veeam - on daily incremnatal auto works well until i need to restore. but really want cloud so as not to have to worry above the ext drives + their security/safety.........and if i have a machine problem the repairer can access all that they need to remedy

again thanks all

Comment

It can be interesting to do a DR excercise on your home stuff. ie. pretend you laptop/main system is destroyed and see if you can recreate all data from backups an use it. I did one a couple of months back. Restored all data to a Pi and was able to do normal work thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                  X