• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all SQL experts - To shrink or not to shrink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Largely databases are split into two separate areas, OLAP (Reporting) and OLTP (Transational day to day stuff).

What tends to happen on the more organically grown systems is they start out as a few tables for transactional stuff and then as the database grows it gets hammered with the BI stick by well meaning department heads wanting meaningful reports to help manage/grow the business.

Quick wins for database performance can be to start a warehouse project, shovel (ETL) the data in to the warehouse and run the reports from there. The sell is that the warehouse gives time slices (snapshots) of the business so can provide richer reports. The management would struggle to justify the cost as warehouses are huge and consume many acres of disk space rapidly.

Or just stage the data for the reports elsewhere, run a nightly hose down and fresh ETL, so no time slices but freshly staged DB. You could sell this as a PreProd environment or DR system in the making.

The important point is you get reporting load off your DB.

Then you can run a profiler trace to identify slowly performing queries and get your DBA to help you identify when to daub some indexes or rewrite some of the queries to perform better.

Of course rebuilding indexes and updating statistics is bread and butter and it sounds very much like you're already doing that. The key here (badoom tish) is that just because a table is large (deep) doesn't mean it has to perform badly. This isn't 1970.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I'd never shrink unless I had a pressing need for the space or knew that it would never ever grow that big again. Each time it grows there is the potential for physical fragmentation. Backups don't copy empty extents. To prove this look at your backup stats before and after the purge. The job will report xxx pages backed up in xxx seconds. If you are having performance issues you would benefit from getting a performance tuning expert in as it sounds like you are doing the general basic stuff.

Comment

Working...
      X