• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which micro PC to get for VPN/RDP ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which micro PC to get for VPN/RDP ?

Hi

Need a Windows micro PC that I could plug into my BT Hub and use it to connect to various clients via VPN/RDP (would connect to the PC itself via Teamviewer. Ideally needs to support 1920x1080 resolution (not entirely sure how it works without monitor attached).

Currently using an old laptop for it, also sometimes letting sub-contractors to connect to it using Teamviewer to do some work for me.

I have never had one, so quite clueless of which one is the best for this purpose. Last time when I researched this subject, it seemed that it would be cheaper to get a basic laptop instead since no high spec is required for VPN/RDP. And as a bonus you could use it as a spare, if needed. Perhaps this has changed since?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lumiere; 26 February 2016, 16:35.

PIPO X9 might suit (see google). Available on eBay for less than a ton. Has a built in 8" 1920x1200 display but also has an HDMI output.

Boo

Comment

Thanks, haven't seen this kind of micro PC before.

I don't really need built-in screen and android though.

Comment

Intel's "Next Unit of Computing" is ideal

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...omparison.html
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          Thanks, haven't seen this kind of micro PC before.

I don't really need built-in screen and android though.
          Fair point, but even with the screen the PIPO is cheaper than just about anything else available. I would be looking to replace the OSs anyway as the W10 home edition supplied doesn't support Windows' Remote Desktop Connection anyway. Linux would be free and can be made to work with RDP or else a spare W.x Pro licence would be needed.

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Intel's "Next Unit of Computing" is ideal

Intel® NUC Comparison
          The Intel NUCs are nice but pricey IMHO. An alternative would be to keep an eye out for an HP Microserver Gen 8 on special offer. The offers on these usually bring the price down below the £150 mark and all you need is a disk drive and display to complete.

Can't see any deals atm though but there is generally 4 a year or so, I got mine from serversdirect.co.uk.

<Edit> Here you go : £140</Edit>

Boo

Comment

Are you bothered with size? if not try the HP Gen8 Microserver £110 after £55 cashback Dual 1Gbit NIC + iLO and proper next business day warranty

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Are you bothered with size? if not try the HP Gen8 Microserver £110 after £55 cashback Dual 1Gbit NIC + iLO and proper next business day warranty
              Nice find !

Boo

Comment

Working...
              X