• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista

Downloading RC1 now - all 2.52Gb of it. So... what are people's views on this monstrosity?
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Have a look at : http://www.winsupersite.com/

This site has quite a good preview of Vista; haven't tried yet to install Vista so I can't give advices...looks good at first sight anyway...

Viktor
    The rest is silence...

Comment

My view is you should download RC2, newly available to all MSDN subscribers. Fortunately I get access via work so I don't have to fork out for MSDN Universal myself :-)

Oh, double check you're downloading the right version. I know of several people who've downloaded the device kit version by mistake. Hand's up, I'm one of them. Well there were only two options at the time, that and the 64 bit version. They've since added the proper 32 bit version as a third option so I'm told.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I think I might install Longhorn 64-bit server to see if they really improved memory handling in it, would be nice to be able to upgrade to 4 GB per server.

Comment

My view is that I won't install it on my laptop as rolodex won't work and that's all I really want it for...

Oh yeah, I believe my AV, personal firewall and VPN won't work either will it if it wants to install kernel level drivers?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
            I believe my AV, personal firewall and VPN won't work either
            Vista is so secure you would not need these apps.

Bill Gates.

Comment

Maybe, but if you read the last post of mine on this topic, you might just find that half the people decide to switch whatever wonderful security it's supposed to provide off.

Originally posted by Joe Black
              Fixed it. For those interested the solution was simple...turn off all the new 'access control' stuff and allow anything and everything to run as Administrator.

Comment

Well I've downloaded, installed and played with it for an hour or two. So far:

It's a stinking turd. I'm too angry to go into detail at the moment but I'm really miffed. I'm going to HAVE to use it to get cash in as I'm a fecking MS contractor. Argh!

Comment

I am going to stick to my Windows XP for at least a year, maybe have Vista for dual boot for DirectX 10 games, but then again it would require new video card even though mine is pretty good (GeForce 7900 GT), will probably skip generation.

The only reason I'd use Longhorn server is due to 64-bitness that is really necessary for large memory support. As for the rest it does seem like Vista is crap and really needs another year of work.

I don't think they actually got all their own current apps working on it - rumour has it VS 2005 does not work yet.

Comment

Yeah VS2005 craps out quite frequently on it from my experience this evening. I think it's the new Vista UI junk killing it though.

I am actually blessing the bastard who suggested that I should get a Mac now. Back to learning proper MVC with Cocoa and Objective C

God i'm turning into a Mac zealot. Can someone please shoot me before I turn into the Chico of Mac.

Comment

Working...
                    X