• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving On From An Access Database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving On From An Access Database

OK, I am by no means a techie, I can handle a tiny bit of command line scripting but that's about it.

I have an Access database, storing various records etc and then pull of reports based on the underlying data.

I want to take it to the next step, ideally have some sort of dashboard that gets updated when ever the data is changed, it will not be very complex, its basically a list of hostnames and various release data associated with it. I would like it to be hostable so it can be viewed from a browser, I assume something so basic can be done with Python and MySQL.

Obviously being self hosted I would need to factor in security, but given a limited amount of experience in this how possible is it to pick up?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Access isn't a database.

MySQL has free tutorials on the web. You should also be able to find them for python and linking to a database. It is a case of being able to Google.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 14 December 2015, 11:25.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Access isn't a database.
      Unhelpful post du jour.

Lots of examples around on how to do this with MySQL and PHP. Probably Python too if you absolutely must.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Unhelpful post du jour.

Lots of examples around on how to do this with MySQL and PHP. Probably Python too if you absolutely must.
        I only mentioned Python as I seem to remember its the easiest of languages to learn

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Unhelpful post du jour.
          If you are going to start playing around with databases you need to know what is and isn't one.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I only mentioned Python as I seem to remember its the easiest of languages to learn
            Php is easy.

And even easier in this respect because there are examples for you to follow.

Just use the language you can get the most productive in quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              OK, I am by no means a techie, I can handle a tiny bit of command line scripting but that's about it.

I have an Access database, storing various records etc and then pull of reports based on the underlying data.

I want to take it to the next step, ideally have some sort of dashboard that gets updated when ever the data is changed, it will not be very complex, its basically a list of hostnames and various release data associated with it. I would like it to be hostable so it can be viewed from a browser, I assume something so basic can be done with Python and MySQL.

Obviously being self hosted I would need to factor in security, but given a limited amount of experience in this how possible is it to pick up?
              You'd be able to easily have a page within a website that can make the appropriate SQL call to query a table. You could then build the logic into the query, build a view and query the view or populate a table to allow a straight select at the web page level. There are probably script examples already out there to get you started.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Access back end JET/MDB is a database:

"A database is an organized collection of data.[1] It is the collection of schemas, tables, queries, reports, views and other objects."

However, from a practical perspective, it is a slow, archaic, single user, embedded, unreliable, database.

Comment

Sounds like you need a MapReduce based architecture providing a highly available, scalable, distributed environment. Have a look at Hadoop and associated databases (Cassandra, HBase etc), which you should be able to wire together quite nicely using Java. Deploy options include a local virtual cluster or something like AWS/EWS for a cloud based offering (ps. It does mean you'll have to unfortunately ditch the Access back end) HTH

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Sounds like you need a MapReduce based architecture providing a highly available, scalable, distributed environment. Have a look at Hadoop and associated databases (Cassandra, HBase etc), which you should be able to wire together quite nicely using Java. Deploy options include a local virtual cluster or something like AWS/EWS for a cloud based offering (ps. It does mean you'll have to unfortunately ditch the Access back end) HTH
                    Ooooh that reminds me, I have an Azure platform I am getting for free but not using, might go full blown SQL and .Net then

Comment

Working...
                    X