• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Embedded Database for Windows Forms App

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    .Net CMS like Umbraco still use Windows CE heavily so it may not have a long future but it is still being used, and good enough for clients too tight to pay out for a proper license

I've not encountered issues using Visual Studio but most of my back end code is just ADO.Net hand written code, maybe all the gui stuff is starting to hate it ?
    Accordin to Erik at the excellent 'Everything SQL Server Compact' blog, CE goes out of support in 2021

Everything SQL Server Compact: Comparison of SQL Server Compact, SQLite, SQL Server Express and LocalDB

Yes, the dataset designer in the latest VS is not compatible with CE and VS does not seem to recognise CE data connections when I open a 'legacy' project in the latest community edition VS. Not good omens.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

SQLite obv
      but if you using access and corrupting it, you are incompetent
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        SQLite obv
        but if you using access and corrupting it, you are incompetent
        There are things you can do, - splitting the front and back end, avoiding memo fields etc, that can reduce the likelihood, but even MS admit that corruption can occur in a networked environment. That's why they include a repair tool.

Moot, tho, cos I've ruled it out.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          There are things you can do, - splitting the front and back end, avoiding memo fields etc, that can reduce the likelihood, but even MS admit that corruption can occur in a networked environment. That's why they include a repair tool.

Moot, tho, cos I've ruled it out.
          If you are using mutiple winform front ends (ie. multiuser on multiple machines) it isn't an embedded DB solution any longer, it's client server - You need a database server.

MS SQL (ie. Express), MySQL, Firebird, PostgreSQL etc.

Embedded file based DB drivers never work reliably across a network. You always end up with corruption and or locking issues. Trust me, had that pain.

Comment

If you would like to use SQLite, but require multi-user, networked access to the data, one solution is:

cubeSQL » high performance DBMS based on sqlite database

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              If you are using mutiple winform front ends (ie. multiuser on multiple machines) it isn't an embedded DB solution any longer, it's client server - You need a database server.

MS SQL (ie. Express), MySQL, Firebird, PostgreSQL etc.

Embedded file based DB drivers never work reliably across a network. You always end up with corruption and or locking issues. Trust me, had that pain.
              The Prawn speaks sense.

Comment

If you would like to use SQLite, but require multi-user, networked access to the data, one solution is:

cubeSQL » high performance DBMS based on sqlite database
                They had me up to 'Pricing'.

Seriously, though, first three users free is a model I can work with. Thanks.

Comment

They had me up to 'Pricing'.

Seriously, though, first three users free is a model I can work with. Thanks.
                  I'd just install MS SQL Express on a server and use that. Works really well and doesn't have any connection limit. 10GB per database which is plenty.

Comment

I'd just install MS SQL Express on a server and use that. Works really well and doesn't have any connection limit. 10GB per database which is plenty.
                    The target market is scuba diving clubs and centres, with a variety of hardware and IT savviness. So I want to keep installation and maintenance as simple as poss.

I've done a POC with SQLite and, once I figured out which package to get, I was impressed with its simplicity of installation, good integration with Vis Studio and its speed. Seems the way to go.

I think its going to stay single-user for now. If there's a demand for multi-user, it will become web-based and those asking can pay for me to learn web development

Comment

I think its going to stay single-user for now. If there's a demand for multi-user, it will become web-based and those asking can pay for me to learn web development
                      The InterWeb will never catch on. Who even uses it?

Comment

Working...
                      X