• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dual SIM phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual SIM phones

I'm exploring the idea of getting a dual SIM mobile as a replacement for my PoS Galaxy Note 4.

I have a payg SIM for my company (only calls and texts) and my private SIM is your classic unlimited / unlimited + 4G.

Do people here have much experience with those, are there drawbacks and where's safest to get them (as I don't see them pushed much)?

The phone I'm going for is the nearly out Sony Xperia Z5 Premium.

I have a GiffGaff PAYG SIM as my second SIM that I use every so often for data only on my OP2.

No problems so far.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

20 Best dual-SIM smartphones | 20 Best dual-SIM phone reviews - Test Centre - PC Advisor
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've been using dual-sim for a long time now and Xperias are indeed your best bet.
        The dual sim-feature got an overhaul in Android 5.1 and is natively supported by the OS.
        There's still some physical downsides - only one sim can have active data connection and the other needs to be in GSM mode.
        In my case this works out ok as my UK sim is Three and overseas it roams on GSM just fine, but in UK Three doesn't work in GSM mode, of course, only 3G and above.
        Starting from Z3 I think, Xperias have nano sims, so make sure you've got them for both networks.

Finally I am still holding out for the Z5 generation as it still uses the Snapdragon 810 which has overheating issues.
        Z5 employed a heatpipe solution to that but it seems that there are still scenarios where 810 is still overheating and as a result throttling down.
        If you don't want to wait, just get a z3 dual which is widely available and good enough.
        Also note that the Dual versions of Xperia take longer to become available and take longer to receive software updates.
        For example Z5 non-premium is available, but Z5 dual is not.
        Android 6.0 is out an my Z3 just got 5.1.1, and even that was about a week or two later than the other Xperias.

If you can live with all of the above you'll get a nice, water-resistant phone, extensible with an SD card to 200GB+ of storage, plenty of RAM, great camera etc

Comment

Working...
        X