• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possibly dumb network question - 2 LANs / workgroups or something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly dumb network question - 2 LANs / workgroups or something

So like most people I have one router and one internet connection. At present the router is also the DHCP server.

But say I want to have 2 separate LANs, one will be my computers and network resources (a NAS, a printer, a Mac and 2 PCs, an AppleTV which accesses my iTunes and a BluRay player which accesses the NAS, an iPhone and an iPad) and the other will be GFP's stuff (a Mac, a PC, a Sky box, a phone). My stuff is a mixture of wired and wireless, hers will be wireless.

So I can have 2 separate wireless access points with 2 SSIDs (HIS and HERS let's say). But my network resources will still show up in her 'network places'. So I'm not sure that separate SSIDs solves anything. In fact I'm sure it won't.

How can I keep the two groups of stuff separate? Can I solve this by having 2 different workgroups? Will that be a PITA to maintain with users and passwords? At present everything is WORKGROUP and that works well of course individually but we're planning to shack up together next year so it won't work going forward).

If my daughter comes to visit, she'll want access to my stuff (NAS and printer). If her son comes to stay, he'll want access to... nothing, just t'internet.

And, before you ask, this is a matter of data protection & privacy (she works in education) and avoiding accidental deletions or casual snooping (I have customer confidential materials).

Some of you must have the same issue, keeping the kids out of and away from work materials. Or at work where two separate teams don't share their shared stuff.

TIA.

Well if privacy is the only issue then local passwords should be fine...

Unless you have some little hackers it is unlikely anyone will 'accidentally' manage to log onto your NAS or GFP laptop and delete/copy files

Obviously if you are trying to keep her bandwidth down so it does not interfere with your viewing of erm art house cinema then you will possibly need a more technical solution.

Comment

Have you tried using an internet search engine to find recommendations?

There appear to be quite a few suggestions on google.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Consider VLAN's.....

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          So like most people I have one router and one internet connection. At present the router is also the DHCP server.

But say I want to have 2 separate LANs, one will be my computers and network resources (a NAS, a printer, a Mac and 2 PCs, an AppleTV which accesses my iTunes and a BluRay player which accesses the NAS, an iPhone and an iPad) and the other will be GFP's stuff (a Mac, a PC, a Sky box, a phone). My stuff is a mixture of wired and wireless, hers will be wireless.

So I can have 2 separate wireless access points with 2 SSIDs (HIS and HERS let's say). But my network resources will still show up in her 'network places'. So I'm not sure that separate SSIDs solves anything. In fact I'm sure it won't.

How can I keep the two groups of stuff separate? Can I solve this by having 2 different workgroups? Will that be a PITA to maintain with users and passwords? At present everything is WORKGROUP and that works well of course individually but we're planning to shack up together next year so it won't work going forward).

If my daughter comes to visit, she'll want access to my stuff (NAS and printer). If her son comes to stay, he'll want access to... nothing, just t'internet.

And, before you ask, this is a matter of data protection & privacy (she works in education) and avoiding accidental deletions or casual snooping (I have customer confidential materials).

Some of you must have the same issue, keeping the kids out of and away from work materials. Or at work where two separate teams don't share their shared stuff.

TIA.
          I thought there were routers or WiFi hotspots that could do VLAN capability? So that the only thing that is shared is the WLAN.

Some come with a 'Guest' SSID capability which will keep individual stations on that SSID isolated, as well as isolated from the other VLAN.

As someone suggested. have a search around for the right router.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            I thought there were routers or WiFi hotspots that could do VLAN capability? So that the only thing that is shared is the WLAN.

Some come with a 'Guest' SSID capability which will keep individual stations on that SSID isolated, as well as isolated from the other VLAN.

As someone suggested. have a search around for the right router.
            Thanks for the VLAN suggestions. My router appears to have a VLAN facility! So I think I'm sorted. Many thanks! This is very cool and solves my problem.

Comment

Working...
            X