• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick VMware ESXi question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick VMware ESXi question

Can you not dynamically add/remove vCPU or memory to a running (obviously) VM? I can't do it but we only have bobby basic licence.

Or do we need a special licence?

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Can you not dynamically add/remove vCPU or memory to a running (obviously) VM? I can't do it but we only have bobby basic licence.

Or do we need a special licence?

hot-plug/hot-add needs to be enabled on a per VM basis and you need to halt the VM to be able to make the initial config change. I've not kept up with licensing, but I think you need at least the Advanced license (or was it Data Centre?) to enable the hot-plug feature. Also, there are dependencies on the guest OS being able to support it.

I might be able to check later - I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Normie View Post
      hot-plug/hot-add needs to be enabled on a per VM basis and you need to halt the VM to be able to make the initial config change. I've not kept up with licensing, but I think you need at least the Advanced license (or was it Data Centre?) to enable the hot-plug feature. Also, there are dependencies on the guest OS being able to support it.

I might be able to check later - I'll let you know.
      Cheers, just tried it on a spare VM, you can enable it but when you try it, need the Advanced licence, and it seems you can't dynamically remove memory in any case.

All VM's are Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
      X