• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

New Hub Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Hub Recommendations?

    I have BT Infinity 2 and the Home Hub 5 it came with.

    We have two kids and about a million wireless devices (phones, iPads, Now TV boxes, Sky wifi boxes, ps4, laptops, etc) and I'd like a nice easy way of a) configuring time periods when individual devices can access the Internet, and b) reviewing internet activity by device, just to periodically check the kids are staying out of harms way.

    I believe the home hub will help me with a) but not b).

    Can anyone recommend a simple solution?

    #2
    Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    I have BT Infinity 2 and the Home Hub 5 it came with.

    We have two kids and about a million wireless devices (phones, iPads, Now TV boxes, Sky wifi boxes, ps4, laptops, etc) and I'd like a nice easy way of a) configuring time periods when individual devices can access the Internet, and b) reviewing internet activity by device, just to periodically check the kids are staying out of harms way.

    I believe the home hub will help me with a) but not b).

    Can anyone recommend a simple solution?
    I tried that, it's a full-time job keeping on top of it. So I didn't bother on the the grounds that if they can't see at at home and find somewhere they can. I just make sure I can see what they're up to on FB!

    Comment


      #3
      Get yourself on a Cisco Meraki webinar - they are offering businesses a free access point device that looks quite nice just for attending.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
        I have BT Infinity 2 and the Home Hub 5 it came with.

        We have two kids and about a million wireless devices (phones, iPads, Now TV boxes, Sky wifi boxes, ps4, laptops, etc) and I'd like a nice easy way of a) configuring time periods when individual devices can access the Internet, and b) reviewing internet activity by device, just to periodically check the kids are staying out of harms way.

        I believe the home hub will help me with a) but not b).

        Can anyone recommend a simple solution?
        Isn't there some BT software that they offer for free to help with that?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

        Comment


          #5
          Yeah there's parental controls which help to an extent, I'm just keen not to rely purely on an algorithm and I'm really surprised there's not a tool out there already to cater for this. Maybe it can be a plan B

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
            Yeah there's parental controls which help to an extent, I'm just keen not to rely purely on an algorithm and I'm really surprised there's not a tool out there already to cater for this. Maybe it can be a plan B
            Part A is good enough. If you can threaten to limit internet access on a device by device basis and then prove it at the first yellow card offence, they'll behave. I've got two teenagers and internet access is the biggest button you can push. It's wonderful.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

            Comment


              #7
              Yeah maybe you're right

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Part A is good enough. If you can threaten to limit internet access on a device by device basis and then prove it at the first yellow card offence, they'll behave. I've got two teenagers and internet access is the biggest button you can push. It's wonderful.
                Mine were devious enough to tether their 3G phones and my son managed to hook into next doors Wifi. Don't underestimate the little buggers! I had five kids though, needed a full IT support team to manage them...

                Back in the day if your Mam found a wank-mag in your room (under the mattress, really, what was I thinking?) and confiscated it you went round to your mate's who's Dad has Danish Hard core porn hidden away (or so he thought!) for a serious wanking session. I think it applies to internet, turn it off and they go round their mates for it...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Mine were devious enough to tether their 3G phones and my son managed to hook into next doors Wifi. Don't underestimate the little buggers! I had five kids though, needed a full IT support team to manage them...

                  Back in the day if your Mam found a wank-mag in your room (under the mattress, really, what was I thinking?) and confiscated it you went round to your mate's who's Dad has Danish Hard core porn hidden away (or so he thought!) for a serious wanking session. I think it applies to internet, turn it off and they go round their mates for it...
                  If they found S&M magazines, they weren't exactly going to spank you....
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I am thinking something like this on a VM, filter all traffic through it

                    https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

                    I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X