• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any particular reason to go for Fibre v2 over regular Fibre?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I'm waiting for FTTP to get 330Mbps, sadly BT stopped taking orders and cranked up the pricing to stupid levels.

Currently running 76Mb, with my Ultra HD TV for Ultra HD BT Sport channel.
    Apparently they're using 29Mb, which is impressive, and twice as much as Netflix UHD.

Review of BT ULTRA HD Service | Increase Broadband Speed

So with FTTP you'll be able to have 11 Ultra HD TVs all watching Ultra HD BT Sport. Or 55 HD TVs all watching Netflix in HD.

Let me know when you do this as I'd like to come round and see.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
      Not wanting to brag, but I'm out in the sticks and am paying for a 10 Mbps synchronous service with Gigaclear, and typically getting speeds in the region of 300 Mbps. Just saying.
      How much are you paying may I ask ? Is it a business or residential service ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
        How much are you paying may I ask ? Is it a business or residential service ?

Boo
        £38/mth plus £8/mth for a Vonage package. Works out about the same as I previously paid for slow broadband with EE plus BT charges, but a lot faster.

It's a residential package. Highly recommended if you have the chance to use them.

Comment

There's some important information frequently missed when talking about BT fttc.

Your max speed will be determined by how far away your BT cabinet is from your home and whether you have copper twin or aluminium twin to the home.

The further away from your home the cabinet is, the longer the copper \ ali twin will be which will slow down your speed considerably.

If you are fortunate and your cabinet is no more than 50 metres, you should get the full 80mb download speed if using Infinity 2. Alternatively if you use Infinity 1, you'll get the capped 38mb.

Further than 50m and you'll see a drop off in maximum download speed for each Infinity option. at about 600 - 700 metres, you be down to 50mb for Infinity 2.

BT state cabinets usually accommodate about 220 line connections and each connection is rated to deliver 80mb max when all line connections are Infinity enabled. Im skeptical about that as Ive seen my speed deteriorate as the cabinet takes up more Infinity connections.

BT are also aware of but do not acknowledge that as the cabinets get more Infinity connections, lines are subject to 'cross talk' type interference which can impact line speed. It needs to be understood this 'cross talk' interference is not interference from voice calls. Its from the fibre. BT are supposed to be working on a solution but as with most things, dont hold your breath.

Have to say, Infinity 2 is quite good if not a little expensive when you add in the line rental although you can access BT's wifi network anywhere for free if you subscribe.

Id bin the BT home hub and use a good 3rd party device router but before you do, make sure you enable the public sharing on the BT homehub so you can use the free wifi anywhere. Then, when you bin the BT homehub, you're no longer sharing part of your bandwidth because 3rd party routers dont support it (its not the guest network) but you can still use BT's free wifi anywhere.

If you dont have a houseful of devices that connect to the net at the same time its impressive. If you have a couple of kids or young adults and lots of devices all connecting at the same time, you can have some impact on speed.

Respect to those in the countryside who got pissed off with BT dragging their heels and installed their own fibre. Some of these are delivering a gigabyte download speed and makes even 300mb seem slow.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            There's some important information frequently missed when talking about BT fttc.

Your max speed will be determined by how far away your BT cabinet is from your home and whether you have copper twin or aluminium twin to the home.

The further away from your home the cabinet is, the longer the copper \ ali twin will be which will slow down your speed considerably.

If you are fortunate and your cabinet is no more than 50 metres, you should get the full 80mb download speed if using Infinity 2. Alternatively if you use Infinity 1, you'll get the capped 38mb.

Further than 50m and you'll see a drop off in maximum download speed for each Infinity option. at about 600 - 700 metres, you be down to 50mb for Infinity 2.

BT state cabinets usually accommodate about 220 line connections and each connection is rated to deliver 80mb max when all line connections are Infinity enabled. Im skeptical about that as Ive seen my speed deteriorate as the cabinet takes up more Infinity connections.

BT are also aware of but do not acknowledge that as the cabinets get more Infinity connections, lines are subject to 'cross talk' type interference which can impact line speed. It needs to be understood this 'cross talk' interference is not interference from voice calls. Its from the fibre. BT are supposed to be working on a solution but as with most things, dont hold your breath.

Have to say, Infinity 2 is quite good if not a little expensive when you add in the line rental although you can access BT's wifi network anywhere for free if you subscribe.

Id bin the BT home hub and use a good 3rd party device router but before you do, make sure you enable the public sharing on the BT homehub so you can use the free wifi anywhere. Then, when you bin the BT homehub, you're no longer sharing part of your bandwidth because 3rd party routers dont support it (its not the guest network) but you can still use BT's free wifi anywhere.

If you dont have a houseful of devices that connect to the net at the same time its impressive. If you have a couple of kids or young adults and lots of devices all connecting at the same time, you can have some impact on speed.

Respect to those in the countryside who got pissed off with BT dragging their heels and installed their own fibre. Some of these are delivering a gigabyte download speed and makes even 300mb seem slow.
            Good post, but with residential you are always subject to contention. Still tempted by the 100Mb/s both ways uncontended I was offered for 260/mo +VAT, - still too dear. I wouldn't feel't benefit......

Comment

Don't bother unless you're going to cough up the extra price which your ISP will obviously do once this comes into effect, which hopefully it never does: Net neutrality: European Parliament votes in favour of 'two speed' internet (Wired UK)

One of the most stupid things about this, apart from the whole aspect of it, is that telecoms providers are fully in support of it (more profits, natch) however it's those same telecoms companies who are constantly pushing you to use their 'over the wire media services' which all use a lot of bandwidth which will then cost you a lot more. Me, I'm digging out my old US Robotics 128k modem
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X