• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Win32 Assembler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    So you missed the sheer unadulterated joy of programming the 80x86 in Real Mode...
    I started assembler programming in a real assember for a real computer: BAL.

Have also done it for fun, for the Commodore 64, of blessed memory. Wrote a game for my own amusement, that involved lobbing missiles at my office building.

And for an IBM "Data Station", the 3740 if my fading memory serves me. That was one to make Y2K pale in comparison: IBM had this buy-once-no-support Hospital Outpatient Billing system that ran on that diskette punch machine. It was written in its own assembly language, and to save space had only one digit for the year: the leading "197" was assumed. I had to fix it, in 1980 of course.

I did like programming. In those days if the machines came with a coin-slot for another half-hour of programming, I'd have been feeding the coins in. Now I can't afford to do just programming. Anyway, back to writing my standards document.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      to save space had only one digit for the year: the leading "197" was assumed. I had to fix it, in 1980 of course.
      One byte (or digit as you refer to it here) is good enough for well over the century, but I am sure you just packed 10 years into 4 bits...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        One byte (or digit as you refer to it here) is good enough for well over the century, but I am sure you just packed 10 years into 4 bits...
        I was quite precise: the program used one digit for the year. As it happens, it did implement this in one byte.

Comment

Working...
        X