• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want a boring phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want a boring phone

I want a boring old phone to use as a second phone to receive SMS and maybe calls on my SIM from one country while I am travelling in another country and using that country's SIM in my iphone for all everyday purposes. Does anyone happen to know of one that fills the bill? (BTW I do know how to google but I have not found a phrase that gets me "phones with micro usb charger connector" since a cable with USB A at one end answers that).

Requirements:
    very long battery life on standby
    charge via micro USB

Nice to have:
    small and lightweight
    cheap

(not required: anything whatever other than SMS and receiving calls).

There are for example small lightweight Nokias with very long battery life but they charge via the Nokia 2mm plug. I want to charge with a non-proprietary cable.

That's the hardware requirement. The real user requirement is a minimum-hassle way of receiving SMS and calls.
    Examples of need:
    1. An agent calls. I can't tell them all in advance to hang on 45 seconds. Maybe I could just set a message saying please call my Skype Number.
    2. The bank wants to confirm a transaction before allowing it, so they send an SMS.

I can forward calls to a Skype Number and on from there to my main phone, but that takes 35 seconds or more to transfer and some callers hang up before then.
    I don't know a way of forwarding SMS to another phone, without having a device + app running back home.
    Last edited by expat; 28 July 2015, 08:23.

I have a Nokia Lumia 435, ticks all the boxes you say, and I have one for the exact same reason you want, main use is PAYG sim card that I give to pimps and throw away when I get a contract.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I have a Nokia Lumia 435, ticks all the boxes you say, and I have one for the exact same reason you want, main use is PAYG sim card that I give to pimps and throw away when I get a contract.
      Thanks, I'll have a look at that. I confess that I assumed I was NOT looking at a smartphone because I didn't think that it would get the 5-day+ standby that I am looking for.

Comment

Nokia 6310i, from many moons ago, had a 14 day stand by.

Ignore that no USB. Sorry
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Nokia 6310i, from many moons ago, had a 14 day stand by.

Ignore that no USB. Sorry
          Thanks for the thought anyway. Yeah it seems to be common still, that the simplest/cheapest phones have a proprietary charger connection. A Nokia wouldn't be a bad idea, you can probably get a replacement charger cable anywhere in the world if need be, and it is only 1 little extra cable to carry around. But the "if I get my druthers" wish is for no extra cable. Or an iphone that takes 2 SIMs with both active!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Examples of need:
            1. An agent calls. I can't tell them all in advance to hang on 45 seconds. Maybe I could just set a message saying please call my Skype Number.
            2. The bank wants to confirm a transaction before allowing it, so they send an SMS.

I can forward calls to a Skype Number and on from there to my main phone, but that takes 35 seconds or more to transfer and some callers hang up before then.
            I don't know a way of forwarding SMS to another phone, without having a device + app running back home.
            Maybe you really want a dual-SIM smart phone?

If you still want a non-smart phone then look at dual-SIM anyway because they tend to have a higher battery capacity. Beware the quoted standby times are fanciful. Nokia 112 works for me, single charge per week for light to moderate use.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              Maybe you really want a dual-SIM smart phone?

If you still want a non-smart phone then look at dual-SIM anyway because they tend to have a higher battery capacity. Beware the quoted standby times are fanciful. Nokia 112 works for me, single charge per week for light to moderate use.
              Good point about the dual-sim phone.

The main phone will remain an iphone and somehow I don't see dual-SIM iphones soon.

I might have to step back and do social engineering instead:
              1. Get a VOIP service and redirect it to my main phone wherever I am. I already do that with a Skype Number but Skype's 35 second delay in call divert is just too much.
              2. Tell everybody I know not to text me any more except by arrangement or in reply to a text from me.
              3. If my bank declines a transaction, I call them to check it.

Comment

Good point about the dual-sim phone.

The main phone will remain an iphone and somehow I don't see dual-SIM iphones soon.

I might have to step back and do social engineering instead:
                1. Get a VOIP service and redirect it to my main phone wherever I am. I already do that with a Skype Number but Skype's 35 second delay in call divert is just too much.
                2. Tell everybody I know not to text me any more except by arrangement or in reply to a text from me.
                3. If my bank declines a transaction, I call them to check it.
                Yep, 'proper' VoIP is way better than Skype in my experience. I ditched skype for anything other than basic skype-to-skype due to unreliable Caller ID (incoming & outgoing), call routing, and general call quality, not to mention it is relatively expensive. Been a happy customer of Voipfone since.

But I think what you are asking for above (1) could be done with an 0845 number. For that I use TTNC. I see that they, and others, also do geographical numbers. From August it's free to forward to any UK mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  Yep, 'proper' VoIP is way better than Skype in my experience. I ditched skype for anything other than basic skype-to-skype due to unreliable Caller ID (incoming & outgoing), call routing, and general call quality, not to mention it is relatively expensive. Been a happy customer of Voipfone since.

But I think what you are asking for above (1) could be done with an 0845 number. For that I use TTNC. I see that they, and others, also do geographical numbers. From August it's free to forward to any UK mobile.
                  Yes, a basic VOIP service is actually cheaper than a Skype Number. I get few calls so the forwarding cost is not a big deal.

Comment

Yes, a basic VOIP service is actually cheaper than a Skype Number. I get few calls so the forwarding cost is not a big deal.
                    I meant the ongoing subscription cost ~£40 pa. for skype number vs £0 for the 0845/VoIP. It would be OK if the service performed but so often it didn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X