• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PS2 KVM and PS2 Mouse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 KVM and PS2 Mouse

I've just bought myself a 4 port KVM to make life simpler with my 3 machines.
    http://www.startech.com/Product/Item...d=SV411KA&c=UK

I have a Logitech wireless KDB and Mouse, the PC end of the reciever has a USB and a PS2 connection, i put one of those USB/PS2 converts ont he usb end and plug it into the KVM, but the mouse does not work.

So I swap the wireless kit with wired kdb and mouse (usb) and still the mouse does not want to work.

Could it be that the USB/PS2 converter confusing the KVM. The converter works fine when plugged into a PC.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

The USB/PS2 converters are device-specific i.e they depend heavily on the electronics in the mouse/keyboard so won't work in generic situations like yours.

Actually, now i've read it, that makes no sense. Have you tried power cycling the KVM, then the connected machines?
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
      Actually, now i've read it, that makes no sense. Have you tried power cycling the KVM, then the connected machines?
      yep,

I've got another converter today so I'll have a play tonight
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

It's not a Belkin one is it? I've got some serious problems with one of them in my rack.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I've got the wired kbd and mouse working with all 3 machines and the wireless one works OK with 2 (Tosh Laptop and Linux Server) but fails with my main PC, the lights on the reciever just go nuts.

I may just give up and buy a decent wired kbd.

cheers

MG

Comment

I used to use a KVM, but now use VNC instead... just as useful, except at boot time if you want to mess with the Bios - then I just plug in a small USB keyboard. It doesn't degrade the quality of the display from my main PC either.

Oh, and it's free.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I'll check it out, although the laptop is customer tied down machine so probably wont be able to use on that.

Comment

Working...
              X