• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solwise homeplug dropped from 12Mbps to 0.3Mpbs - what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I have a Solwise unit plugged into my router, and two additional units; one in my garage and one in my home office. These both also function as WiFi hotspots.

I noticed today that the internet in my office seemed terribly slow. I ran speedtest.net and got .3 Mbps! I assumed it was the ISP since both my desktops showed the same result, but then remembered they were both hard-wired into the same homeplug (has 2 ethernet ports).

My iPad on the main WiFi reported 4Mbps, when I switched my Mac from ethernet to Wifi it went from 0.3 -> 8Mbps.

It was working fine yesterday - I watched streaming video at least without any issues - and I haven't altered our wiring or plugged/unplugged new things anywhere.

I'm not sure what to try... could the unit have failed? My main desktop doesn't have WiFi so I rely on the HomePlug. It's _just_ fast enough for web-browsing and RDP but nothing else, and clearly something has gone wrong.
    I had to bin 2 of my solwise units because they just went screwy and could no longer see each other.
    I suspect a power surge may have done them in because they both broke at the same time.
    The third unit was still ok.
    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
    X