• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[VB].Net or VB, which has less chance of being decompiled?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[VB].Net or VB, which has less chance of being decompiled?

The question says it all...

Depends who wrote it. If it was offshored, you could have the source and still not make any sense of it.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

VB6 compiled to native code is far harder to decompile than VB.NET (or any .NET language)

Obfuscation of VB.NET assemblies can help. Please see http://www.howtoselectguides.com/dotnet/obfuscators/ and choose a good one.

A VB6 exe/dll compiled to native code is still at least 10x harder to decompile than even the most obfuscated .NET assembly.
      Last edited by DimPrawn; 25 September 2006, 20:28.

Comment

I always wondered if you could pack an EXE in MSIL using UPX. Anyone tried that?
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

No, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Google google google....

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

Comment

VB6 I'd have thought. Any dotnetter worthy of the name will be able to read IL, then simultaneously translate it into VB with his left hand and C# with his right.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                VB6 I'd have thought. Any dotnetter worthy of the name will be able to read IL, then simultaneously translate it into VB with his left hand and C# with his right.
                Or just download reflector to do it for you ....

Comment

I always thought you couldnt decode very easily. Couple of good links to prove me wrong please (for VB that is)
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You cannot decode VB6 compiled to native code easily. If it is compiled to p-code it is much easier.

Anyone who says they can recover the source (in anything approaching the original) of a compiled (to native) VB6 program is talking bollox.

Comment

Working...
                    X