• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to learn Web-development, anyone got any recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to learn Web-development, anyone got any recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm a 23 year old graduate with a bit of experience in IT and I'm looking to start a career in website development. I'm currently in the research phase of trying to discover which skills are most valued, and where the best place to start is.

I have a very basic understanding of programming so I currently fall under the "beginner" umbrella.

My current plan is to start some basic self-learning with codecademy to see if this is for me before looking at undertaking courses.

Does anyone have any experiences to share with regards to learning, courses (online or in person) and any general advice?

Cheers

Search the job boards for relevant job offers and see what is in demand, start looking at apprenticeship type of positions where you can learn on the job which is the best way to learn IT skills.

Comment

Get a permanent IT job in a decent sized company.

There are lots of IT positions out there some of which you will have never of heard about and some that currently don't exist. Talk to people in different roles finding out what they do. Then and only then decide what you want to invest your time learning.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Practice, practice, practice! There too many web development technologies and frameworks out there for you to learn all of them. A full stack developer has to have a considerable number of technologies known like the back of their hand as opposed to other professionals who focus more on a specific area. There is no generic list but you should consider learning
        1) A high level language say C++/Java/python
        2) scripting languages
        3) frameworks
        4) at least 2 DBMS's

couple this learning with part-time work like others have already suggested. Along the way, as you find the areas that interest you, you'll find which technology is best suited and which ones are not.

Comment

Working...
        X