• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scala - is it worth the time investment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scala - is it worth the time investment?

I'm contemplating investing my free time in learning Scala (to make myself more marketable). Does anyone here work or has worked with Scala before? If yes in which industry? In general how's the job market for Scala (London)? Is it worth learning or is it just a hype?

Cheers

Scala rates are pretty high at the moment - I have seen up to £900pd

Comment

Scala has a good market but mostly in Bigdata domain, after all Spark was written in Scala. However, it is worth noting that it is not widely used in Cloud specific requirements or in DevOps domain.

Given that whatever you can do in Scala, can be done in Python (mostly), the hype has died but usage is slowly creeping.

If I were you, I would invest my time in DevOps.
      Last edited by BigDataPro; 8 October 2021, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
        Scala has a good market but mostly in Bigdata domain, after all Spark was written in Scala. However, it is worth noting that it is not widely used in Cloud specific requirements or in DevOps domain.

Given that whatever you can do in Scala, can be done in Python (mostly), the hype has died but usage is slowly creeping.

If I were you, I would invest my time in DevOps.
        The higher rates are for Scala with some of the functional libraries. I got out of Spark because the rates were lower.

Comment

Working...
        X