• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac Mini for music production?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Mini for music production?

I use Linux exclusively these days on the desktop at home but want to get back to some serious music production without going back to Windows. A friend suggested a Mac Mini mid range model would do the job and seems a good choice at first glance but never used one.

Anybody use one for that purpose? Your choice of DAW? A lot of the software I currently have comes with Mac versions so not a big deal to move and not much expense other than a good DAW.
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I use Linux exclusively these days on the desktop at home but want to get back to some serious music production without going back to Windows. A friend suggested a Mac Mini mid range model would do the job and seems a good choice at first glance but never used one.

Anybody use one for that purpose? Your choice of DAW? A lot of the software I currently have comes with Mac versions so not a big deal to move and not much expense other than a good DAW.
    Cannae beat Mac (prefer iMac) for this - Logic X is a dream, as is MainStage, even Superior Drummer which I don't like and Autotune, up to you really....

Garageband is free and is really Logic X for noobs, Logic is like 129 quid, MainStage 40 quid or something....

Fill yer boots! that piece I sent u is my lad on Logic X for strings, real guitar and bass, superior drummer for drums...

Comment

Used older versions of Reason (4, 5 and 6) on a 2012 era Mini and worked ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Go back to windows Clipster and give Reaper a try. Or build a box as a temp to give Reaper a try. Took me ages to move to it, mainly because it's so cheap and was always looking for the catch, but works with all the plugins/vstis etc that I've always used with Sonar
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Heard good things about Reaper actually

Comment

Originally posted by rob s View Post
            Heard good things about Reaper actually
            It's good because it's not as bloated as the other commercial offerings like Cubase and Sonar. Not really found anything yet that I can't do with it.

Doesn't come with any VST's but all the commercial ones I have work fine with it (Sylenth, Nexus, Massive etc.)

Comes bundled with reasonable effects like reverbs and stuff and the home use licence is only £60 or something.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I use sonar, I can't say I have ever warmed to it. Kind of in the same way I use eclipse to write java code and generally think it is pretty crap.

Comment

Working...
              X