• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying hard disks online - inadequate packaging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Since you seem to be buying a pair of those, consider getting them from different manufacturers, or at least a different batch (from different retailers). Depending on how you set them up, they won't, hopefully, both fail at the exact same moment.
    Very recently I had an HDD on my daily backup die and SSD with projects die at the same time.
    Fortunately I had backups at an offsite location and all my pr0n / projects were recovered successfully
    Indeed, good advice.. I remembered about that after I'd ordered them (duh) - that is exactly what I did with the original 500gb Seagates.

Done now, in fact arrived today and in the process of resyncing the first of them. I do have a decent multiple backup plan so hopefully there won't be a future problem...

Full marks to Scan, drives arrived mummified in bubblewrap.. what a contrast to Amazon.
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

WTS. When I first setup RAID 1 I bought two identical drives, thinking that's what I had to do. Afterwards I realised that was silly, especially as RAID1 means they're doing identical work. Fortunately they didn't fail at the same time, but a few months apart, but now I have two completely different drives.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

In the past I also used to rely on on hardware solution such as HW RAID controller.
        Nowadays I tend to use software solutions such as ZFS or Windows Storage spaces, especially for SoHo (and my own use). The performance hit is minimal or none (in case of mirroring) and the convenience and flexibility outweighs any cons for me.
        If one of those drives fail, you can recover data on another Windows computer. With hardware RAID controllers this was not always possible without the original HW controller.

Comment

HDD's ... how quaint ;-)

Comment

Irony

One of the disks from Scan has turned out to be duff...

It's getting RMA'd.

It would be ironic if the badly packed disks from Amazon actually worked perfectly...

*sigh*
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
            X