• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Even more IP Tables Lunacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Just in case someone else has the same problem...

Oh ok, sure.

Well now knowing what I know, and re-reading the thread the wireshark trace excerpt is really all you need to look at.

ldap 36.147965000 192.168.0.5 10.0.0.222 ICMP 94 Destination unreachable (Host administratively prohibited)
    A firewall is programmed with rules that tell it what do with a packet. Generally it is

1) Let is pass
    2) Drop it
    3) Reject it

So from a ping point of view if you get a response, it was allowed.
    If you get a "Destination host unreachable" error, then a rejection was received.
    If you get a "Request timed out" error then the packet was dropped (ie nothing came back).

In the wireshark message above you can see that this is a rejection message. It is from 192.168.0.5 to 10.0.0.222, saying that an earlier attempt to initiate a connection on the LDAP port was denied.

So to fix it, you just need to open the port on 192.168.0.5. In my example I only wanted to receive traffic from the virtual network, so I did this :

Code:
    iptables - I INSERT 1 -p tcp -s 10.0.0.0/24 --dport 389 -j ACCEPT
    This allows traffic on port 389 from the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet.

There were other ports to open up, and I spent the day sifting through wireshark traces and fixing problem but in the end all the wireshark traces were clean and the VMs talking happily to the host.

For info, the host is Centos7, running Samba4 and I am using this to establish an Active Directory without using Windows server. Then I administer the AD from a windows 7 guest using the server management tools.

Any questions just holler.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
    X