• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High-end desktop Windows PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to say it but Unix is right. It's what I am considering next time I need to get a new machine. Whole dev environment that you can pick up and take with you. I have my sites in git and work locally via a local linux box, going mac would let me have the whole lot in one bundle. Seriously tempted. The only thing holding me back is only upgraded to this machine a year or two ago and it is more than fast enough and just can't justify £2K solely on making me portable, especially as I only work from two locations as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      Hate to say it but Unix is right. It's what I am considering next time I need to get a new machine. Whole dev environment that you can pick up and take with you. I have my sites in git and work locally via a local linux box, going mac would let me have the whole lot in one bundle. Seriously tempted. The only thing holding me back is only upgraded to this machine a year or two ago and it is more than fast enough and just can't justify £2K solely on making me portable, especially as I only work from two locations as it is.
      I looked at the spec and looks like an average processor/cores, ok mobile graphics card. Not sure about the ssd cant remember. Is it also limited to 16gb?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I looked at the spec and looks like an average processor/cores, ok mobile graphics card. Not sure about the ssd cant remember. Is it also limited to 16gb?
        Tuned to work well....

I remember building PC's on the 2000's bought two Pentium three Mitsubishi Apricots, although lower spec in every way, they out-performed the homebuilds no problem. I put that down to time spent by Mitsubishi tuning parts - maybe I was wrong...

Miss them - gave them away....

I think that's what Apple do - not State of the Art, but tuned....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Tuned to work well....

I remember building PC's on the 2000's bought two Pentium three Mitsubishi Apricots, although lower spec in every way, they out-performed the homebuilds no problem. I put that down to time spent by Mitsubishi tuning parts - maybe I was wrong...

Miss them - gave them away....

I think that's what Apple do - not State of the Art, but tuned....
          I think the Apple marketing department are the best in the world!

Comment

Working...
          X