• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firefox 64bit for Windows

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 64bit for Windows

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but here you go:
    Index of /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk

Select the "win64-x86_64.installer.exe" to install or "win64-x86_64.zip" just to extract and go.

Discussion.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Still need 32bit java.
    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

It's pointless. If it makes any difference at all it'll be to use more memory than the 32-bit version.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        It's pointless.
        Probably.
        If it makes any difference at all it'll be to use more memory than the 32-bit version.
        Explain that!

In any case you are free to compile it from sources. I actually was thinking of doing so, probably using mingw or cygwin.
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
          Explain that!
          The only benefit of a 64-bit app is it can access >4GB of RAM, which a browser isn't likely to need. But in doing that every pointer has to be 64-bit, instead of 32, and therefore uses twice as much memory.

Comment

The only benefit of a 64-bit app is it can access >4GB of RAM
            Rubbish!

Comment

Rubbish!
              What are the other benefits?

Comment

What are the other benefits?
                You're not far from the truth and I agree in many case it's just a waste of resources. but the there could be some functionalities in the 64bit kernel (any OS) that you might not get in 32 bit mode (I can't think of any for Windows at the moment).

As FF is open source you might potentially build it yourself from sources and see if it makes any difference.

The only reason Mozilla has not released it for Win64 yet is because, as pointed out, it might not work well with Java and Flash 64 bit. As they are slowly going to be phased out, they might develop plugins only for the 64 bit platform.

In my experience on Windows, yes it is a waste of resource, but that's because it is from the daily build and deliberately broken.

Comment

Discussion.
                  Probably
                  Explain that!
                  Rubbish!
                  Er, can we move this thread to general so that I can take the P out of pg's social skills and explain what a discussion is?

Comment

Working...
                  X