• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decent hardware kit for transcribing gramaphone record tracks to digital audio files

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent hardware kit for transcribing gramaphone record tracks to digital audio files

My father is interested in transferring some old records (pre-LPs) into digital audio files.

Although I have done this in the past with audio cassettes, with reasonable results, as I recall the dongle kit I bought years ago to do the same with records was pretty unsatisfactory and is now in a box somewhere I know not where. For example, it used a low bit rate and didn't allow a larger bit rate such as 320 Mbps to be selected, and was generally pretty cheap and nasty.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so can you [dis-]recommend any relevant hardware for under, say, two or three hundred quid?

(I'd go a little higher if absolutely necessary, to purchase an generally agreed market leading choice or professional kit.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Good question..

I did the cassette recording years ago, with some good results. But over time I've replaced most with CD's. I did the same with VHS, but my dad still has some Beta tapes. Rather than record to the PC, some seem to be record direct to SD card. This one copes with 33, 45 & 78. I assume that the "gramaphone records" are 78's, for about £50

MAXIM VINYL RECORD PLAYER TURNTABLE 33 45 78 SPEAKERS USB & SD RETRO IN BLACK | eBay

Comment

Many thanks for your prompt reply anonymouse.

You don't happen to remember the audio output bit rate, or whether this can be configured?

As I mentioned, my bete noire is cheap analog to digital record players that record only at piss poor rates like 100 MBps

Not to worry if you don't, as I can always send an Ebay message to the seller.

Comment

Wouldn't a decent Audio card with line input do the jobby... assuming you have line output? e.g. maybe from an existing turntable and quality amp?

If you don't have the facility to play the LPs then you're at square 1 of course. Those placcy USB turntables are, I assume, crap.

Comment

Been doing some digging, and it appears this is the bad boy I need to do the job properly (with a high enough bit rate) :

The Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

It's the only model in the Focusrite comparison chart that does 192 KHz instead of a wretched 96 KHz. (You have to press the "More" button to see the Liquid Saffire column.)

edit: Hmm, that Focusrite comparison page includes a model called "Forte" that also does 192 KHz. There's an interesting discussion on this here.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 December 2014, 14:37.

Comment

How many are you looking at doing?

Given the time & cost, for a few records, why not get somebody else to do it? (yes, I know it doesn't have the same satisfaction). About £8 each for a 78.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
              Given the time & cost, for a few records, why not get somebody else to do it? (yes, I know it doesn't have the same satisfaction). About £8 each for a 78.
              Fair point, but who's to say the someone else might not be using cheap substandard kit?

Nah, my heart is set on a Focusrite Forte now. It has tip-top reviews, and Amazon are flogging them for only £200.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

78s.

The hiss of shellac.

Lovely.

Hope it comes with processing software to make it sound a bit better.
                It slightly puzzles me why he wants high bitrates from those, but here we go:

See this thread, particularly the post from "Mac Dude".

ClickRepair is apparently the dog's danglies, and there are some good tips on the site, for example under Equalization – issues & a solution:

Older records were monophonic, but it is still useful to capture them as a stereo file, so as to have separate access to the information from the two walls of the record groove.
                ClickRepair requires Java (Windows or Mac) and expects WAV or AIFF files. Does up to 192KHz.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

If you were willing to go to a ton-ish for the kit, you could get a pro audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Probably a bit of overkill for the job but you'll get a cut down version of Ableton Live with it which gives you all kinds of filtering and EQ options.

edit - That'll teach me not to read the thread :-) You're already looking at better kit than a 2i2, although the pre-amps are the same in most of their cheaper kit (i.e. sub £750 ish)
                  Last edited by TestMangler; 24 December 2014, 18:15.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                  X