• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SMS over GPRS modems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMS over GPRS modems

I have been asked to look at creating a small program that sends and receives SMSs. From what I have been told SMS gateways are too pricey these days so the client wants to use a couple of laptops with GPRS modems on cheap mobile deals.

Just wondered if anyone has anyone done any programming on this type of thing before? Client will most likely be written in java.

I have found a couple of libraries for this, SMSJ and javacomm and I can see that wavecom seem to have a big slice of the market with modems. Just wondered if this is the right direction I am going in.

Cheers

I use this SMS Server Tools 3

+ commodity dongle(s) (Huawei E173) + Postfix

for a email < > sms gateway.

Comment

Cheers.

That might do.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
        I use this SMS Server Tools 3

+ commodity dongle(s) (Huawei E173) + Postfix

for a email < > sms gateway.
        Works really well, Cheers.

Using a 27 quid wavecom modem and able to send out about 700 SMS a hour and also receive.

Code is simple as I just have to a write to file rather than feck about with AT commands.

Comment

Working...
        X