• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another 'which laptop?' thread.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 'which laptop?' thread.

I need to replace my aging Tosh Satellite laptop.

I dont need anything superfast. All I want it for is for documents, storeage, streaming vids and watching internet sports channels. Im not into high end gaming but do use an RC Flight Sim for polishing my, ahem, skills when the weather outside is schit.

I considered a chromebook but there doesnt seem to be any with a screen size of 15" plus Im not keen on loading all my docs to the cloud where they could be hacked.

So, Im looking at a lappie costing around 750 sheets. In the spec, I'd like:

minimum 15" screen (not really bothered about a bigger screen)
    High screen resolution
    dedicated graphics not less than 2 gig
    dedicated sound card if poss although would accept integrated sound at a push
    Gigabyte port
    USB 3.0 ports
    WiFi N
    Bluetooth 4.0
    No less than 4 gig of RAM
    Good solid processor
    HDD 500 gig to 750 gig
    Doesnt have to have SDD
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I think you may struggle at £750 for the spec you are after tbh...

I did see this and thought its almost there for you...

I'd prefer the alienware tbh but that aint cheap and only comes in 14", 17" or 18"

I'm sure I'm probably wrong tho and someone will be along shortly to correct me...

Edit: Found this HP one too but prefer the Elitebook ones...
    Last edited by Alias; 28 October 2014, 09:00.
    Join IPSE

Comment

Maybe either of these: Deals | Free Delivery | Pcworld
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Thanks both. Bit suprised about the might be struggling comment.

I was thinking along the lines of something like this Gigabyte 15" P15F V2-CF1, Gigabyte P15F V2-CF1, 42752637 - Save on Laptops

I think Gigabyte are mainly for gamers but overall the spec seemed to match what I wanted. What Im not sure about is their reliability?

Specifications
        Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Quad Core (2.5 GHz, Intel Haswell Architecture, Features Intel Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
        Screen 15.6" (1920x1080 Full HD Resolution)
        Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
        RAM 8GB (DDR3 1600MHZ)
        Hard Drive 1000GB
        Optical Drive DVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
        Graphics Dedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 850M with 2GB Dedicated)
        Wireless LAN Wireless (802.11b/g/n Wireless)
        Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
        Integrated Webcam Integrated Webcam with Microphone
        Card Reader SD Card Reader
        USB Ports 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
        Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
        Speakers Integrated Sound System
        VGA Port 1 External VGA Port
        Kensington Lock Kensington lock slot
        Charge Time 2.5 Hours
        HDMI Port 1 x HDMI Port
        E-sata 1x eSATA Port
        Warranty Gigabyte 2 Year Warranty (View More Information)
        Battery Life 5-6 Hours (Upto 5 Hour Battery Life)
        Weight 2-3 Kg (This Model 2.5 Kg)
        Product Type Notebook
        Keyboard Type Laptop Keyboard

Comment

Hmmm. So no opinion on Gigabyte or similar Asus spec'd lappies?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Hmmm. So no opinion on Gigabyte or similar Asus spec'd lappies?
            I had a look at the Gigabyte one and I'd buy it if I needed a new one, not sure about Asus I heard their customer support is atrocious.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Have you looked at Novatech?

I'm considering one of their customised laptops (SSD instead of HD) for £730 the equivalent T440 from lenovo costs around £1160.

The few reviews I've found said that the keyboard was "spongy" also the chassis is moulded plastic (that's why I'm going for SSD)

Comment

Gigabyte laptop user here - use every day at ClientCo.
                I have the P35k, which is a little pricier, and it has served very well for almost a year now. Powerful, slim, understated (unlike many 'gaming' laptops) and so on.
                Spec:
                Core i7-4700HQ
                16GB DDR3 (2x 8GB) RAM
                GTX765M and Intel gfx - NVidia Optimus switches on the fly, so mostly uses the integrated gfx....
                BluRay writer
                2x 128GB mSata SSDs in RAID 0
                1TB HDD
                15.6" 1920x1080 IPS screen

All in all, very capable laptop. At ClientCo, I run a VM to access their world, and the laptop is plenty powerful enough to handle actual work as well as 'my stuff' running at the same time. Battery lasts around 4-5hrs, in my experience, with regular work use.
                Would certainly recommend to others, Gigabyte's more recent machines are very capable and well priced
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                  Have you looked at Novatech?

I'm considering one of their customised laptops (SSD instead of HD) for £730 the equivalent T440 from lenovo costs around £1160.

The few reviews I've found said that the keyboard was "spongy" also the chassis is moulded plastic (that's why I'm going for SSD)
                  Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                  Gigabyte laptop user here - use every day at ClientCo.
                  I have the P35k, which is a little pricier, and it has served very well for almost a year now. Powerful, slim, understated (unlike many 'gaming' laptops) and so on.
                  Spec:
                  Core i7-4700HQ
                  16GB DDR3 (2x 8GB) RAM
                  GTX765M and Intel gfx - NVidia Optimus switches on the fly, so mostly uses the integrated gfx....
                  BluRay writer
                  2x 128GB mSata SSDs in RAID 0
                  1TB HDD
                  15.6" 1920x1080 IPS screen

All in all, very capable laptop. At ClientCo, I run a VM to access their world, and the laptop is plenty powerful enough to handle actual work as well as 'my stuff' running at the same time. Battery lasts around 4-5hrs, in my experience, with regular work use.
                  Would certainly recommend to others, Gigabyte's more recent machines are very capable and well priced
                  Thanks both.

Comment

Working...
                  X