• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does Linksys WRT1900ac router need a separate modem for BT broadband?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Can't have you spending only £200 when you could be spending £263.
    and the rest - I still have to buy the CAT 7a cables (or is CAT 8 out yet) ?

It only has to be done every few years, so one may as well lash out and buy the best.

I think the 27xx is for SoHo and 28xx is for business.
    That was my impression too.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hi Owly, what are you trying to do?

FWIW, my set up was / is

Draytek 2820 has the ADSL2+ modem built in, you still need a microfilter. A version of the Draytek with wireless is (was) available. Recently I got BT fibre, the BT man gave me a HomeHub 5 which doesn't do port forwarding very well or a few other things I used the Draytek for, so he gave me a modem too, which plugs into the Draytek and all is "back to normal" and it saved me buying a new VDSL Draytek router.

There are lots of Drayteks on eBay, so if you fancy one, save yourself some dosh.

My brand new one cost £148 in 2009.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Hi Owly, what are you trying to do?

FWIW, my set up was / is

Draytek 2820 has the ADSL2+ modem built in, you still need a microfilter. A version of the Draytek with wireless is (was) available. Recently I got BT fibre, the BT man gave me a HomeHub 5 which doesn't do port forwarding very well or a few other things I used the Draytek for, so he gave me a modem too, which plugs into the Draytek and all is "back to normal" and it saved me buying a new VDSL Draytek router.

There are lots of Drayteks on eBay, so if you fancy one, save yourself some dosh.

My brand new one cost £148 in 2009.

HTH
        Thanks, but your doubtless sage advice comes too late - I bought a Vigor 2860Vn Plus at the weekend!

To answer your question, all I'm basically trying to do is set up a fairly future proof (the next two or three years' future anyway) and reliable network with the internal speed as fast as it can be made on copper, and with 802.11ac wireless.

But I'd concede that maybe it is a bit OTT in relation to the external broadband connection, as the speed of that is 8 Mbps tops.

I guess all I need now is a dinky little linux box to use as a RADIUS-based authentication server for WPA2 enterprise EAP.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
        X